Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The quarter should ring in about a foot and less. Forget the air testing, and plant a coin garden. That's what I did as a new owner, and within a 20 minute learning curve I was out digging deep silver and oldies.

Explorer II is a great machine with excellent depth capability. It's my go-to detector, more so than my new Etrac.

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks FistfullaDirt..
The quarter with my 8" coil, with factory reset, barely registers at 5 inches, if I put the explorer on manual sensitivity and run it to max sensitivity, with deep on, all it reads is 9 inches.
I agree air test has nothing to do with learning how the expII works, but to me it is an indication of how sensitive my coils are.
With the WOT I can reach 12 inches.
Me thinks my Explorer II needs a tune up?
When I hunt out an area (tried several times) with my AT Pro and I go over it with explorer II, the explorer finds nothing. I would like to believe that the explorer can hunt deeper than the AT. I guess I'll just have to clean out an area in my yard and start testing and comparing the two.
Thanks for your input, I value your opinion.
Roy

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FistfullaDirt..
The quarter with my 8" coil, with factory reset, barely registers at 5 inches, if I put the explorer on manual sensitivity and run it to max sensitivity, with deep on, all it reads is 9 inches.
I agree air test has nothing to do with learning how the expII works, but to me it is an indication of how sensitive my coils are.
With the WOT I can reach 12 inches.
Me thinks my Explorer II needs a tune up?
When I hunt out an area (tried several times) with my AT Pro and I go over it with explorer II, the explorer finds nothing. I would like to believe that the explorer can hunt deeper than the AT. I guess I'll just have to clean out an area in my yard and start testing and comparing the two.
Thanks for your input, I value your opinion.
Roy
Test garden would be the best idea! The older the test garden the better depth you will usually get. As far as a tune-up, I don't think there is such a thing for your Minelab. either it works right or it's broken. Unless maybe your plugs need to be re-gapped? Lol!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Test garden would be the best idea! The older the test garden the better depth you will usually get. As far as a tune-up, I don't think there is such a thing for your Minelab. either it works right or it's broken. Unless maybe your plugs need to be re-gapped? Lol!

Great post. Coin gardens need to be at least a year old before you get accurate results.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post. Coin gardens need to be at least a year old before you get accurate results.

And that right there is y I pop around i been detecting a while though I never made a garden been thinkin about it here & there, & that makes sence let the dirt settle around the coin or whatever let it mineralize with the earth good bit of knowlege there thanks

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that the electronics of a metal detector (fueled by the on board batteries) is what generates the energy necessary to create the force to run the coil. For a given brand (in this case Explorer II) the electronic (generator for lack of a better word) power produced can vary (nothing manufactured is identical).
I am sure that the manufacturer has tolerances that they adhere to.
This being said an air test would be the best way to compare the sensitivity (or force emitting from the coil) of my detector with whomever has done testing with a silver quarter in another Explorer II.
Since silver 25 cent pieces can vary in the amount of silver year to year, I used a 1964 because it is probably one of the easiest to obtain, hence the test (if the other testers use a comprable 25 cent piece) would show a difference or similarity between the two explorer IIs.
My reasons have nothing to do with "learning how" to use the explorer II, but if several people are getting 1 or 2 inches more distance in an air test than I am, it is reasonable to assume that the detector I have is not reaching the depths it should.
The air test, I know for a fact, has very little to do with the actual hunting depth of a detector. Yes to learn a detector a test bed clear of metallic objects is the clearly the way to go.
I am looking for this information, because I find it odd that the explorer II cannot find a coin (in a test garden) as deep as my AT Pro.
At first I thought it was just me not being able to utilize the functions on the Exp, but now I am beginning to wonder if possibly the 10 year old technology of my Explorer II has something to be desired. Which is why I said it needed a tune up. By a tune-up, I was implying that it would possibly need better (or newer) technology installed, which I know minelab will not do. If I can possibly obtain tests done by other members, and I come to the conclusion that the electronics in my particular machine is insufficient, I will not sell it. If it seems to be "up to snuff" evident-ed by air tests. Then I would have to make a different decision.
Roy

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that the electronics of a metal detector (fueled by the on board batteries) is what generates the energy necessary to create the force to run the coil. For a given brand (in this case Explorer II) the electronic (generator for lack of a better word) power produced can vary (nothing manufactured is identical).
I am sure that the manufacturer has tolerances that they adhere to.
This being said an air test would be the best way to compare the sensitivity (or force emitting from the coil) of my detector with whomever has done testing with a silver quarter in another Explorer II.
Since silver 25 cent pieces can vary in the amount of silver year to year, I used a 1964 because it is probably one of the easiest to obtain, hence the test (if the other testers use a comprable 25 cent piece) would show a difference or similarity between the two explorer IIs.
My reasons have nothing to do with "learning how" to use the explorer II, but if several people are getting 1 or 2 inches more distance in an air test than I am, it is reasonable to assume that the detector I have is not reaching the depths it should.
The air test, I know for a fact, has very little to do with the actual hunting depth of a detector. Yes to learn a detector a test bed clear of metallic objects is the clearly the way to go.
I am looking for this information, because I find it odd that the explorer II cannot find a coin (in a test garden) as deep as my AT Pro.
At first I thought it was just me not being able to utilize the functions on the Exp, but now I am beginning to wonder if possibly the 10 year old technology of my Explorer II has something to be desired. Which is why I said it needed a tune up. By a tune-up, I was implying that it would possibly need better (or newer) technology installed, which I know minelab will not do. If I can possibly obtain tests done by other members, and I come to the conclusion that the electronics in my particular machine is insufficient, I will not sell it. If it seems to be "up to snuff" evident-ed by air tests. Then I would have to make a different decision.
Roy
Understood, and very well put! I still think a lot of the minelab technology was/is ahead of it's time though!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger, what settings are you using on the Exp II?
I run my sensitivity at 28 manual, gain at 9.
Deep off, fast off.
I use little discrimination, or iron mask. I also use the aftermarket 10X12 Sef coil.

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For hunting with the exp?
I've tried different settings, some of Andy Sabisch recommended settings, but not always.
My settings will vary,
I usually keep deep on., in trashy areas fast is on. I always hunt in conduct mode. Threshold so I can barely hear it, but loud enough so if it nulls on a find I will notice the missing threshold. Audio...sometimes normal, sometimes audio 1, I like audio 1 but I only use it in clean areas. The tones emitting from Normal are shorter in duration. I usually hunt in smart, listening to sounds. I clear the discrimanation settings, and usually run gain at 8.
Sensitivity I always try to run it close to max, and sometimes I do, I always keep sensitivity set to auto.
I usually run a WOT coil, the 'wild orange thing' from coiltek, the 8 inch exp coil, I don't use much. I use a SunRay Stealth S-5 coil for trashy areas.
I'm not having problems learning the detector, I am having doubts about my Explorers ability to hunt deep.
If I go to an area with the explorer, and I "clean out" a small area (someones front yard for instance), and then go over the area with my AT Pro I usually find other targets.
on the other had if I hunt with the AT Pro first, the pickens are from slim to nothing with the exp no matter which coil I try.
It is hard for me to believe that the AT Pro with the factory coil, can run deeper, separate faster, pinpoint easier then a machine that costs 1/2 the price of my Explorer II.
Right now, I am trying to exclude my self from the equation, and am trying to see If someone has did air tests with a 25 cent piece comparable to the one I used. I say some videos on the web of air test between the Exp II and the Tesero Vaquero. To me these test meant nothing in either ones ability to find targets in different soils. However an air test on similar machines (more than 2 machines), with similar setting, using similar targets,will give me an indication of coil strength on my machine. If my Explorer 2 has similar coil signal strength (as indicated in air tests) than other machines (whose owners are satisfied with their machine) I can then assume that I would need to take a much, much closer look at how I am running my machine.
Thanks
Roy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with my Explorer II has been solved. It is now working as it should.
Thanks to all who have responded to this thread

Roy

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem was the switching mechanism on my X-1 probe. It was faulty,and I have sent it in for repair.
When I removed the shaft containing the x-1 probe and switching box, problem solved The machine now operates as it should.
The X-1 was installed a little over 9 years ago, so I guess it was entitled to an overhaul. Thanks to Steve (on another forum) who helped me identify the problem.
Thanks for asking......Roy

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info Digger2. Thanks

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem was the switching mechanism on my X-1 probe. It was faulty,and I have sent it in for repair.
When I removed the shaft containing the x-1 probe and switching box, problem solved The machine now operates as it should.
The X-1 was installed a little over 9 years ago, so I guess it was entitled to an overhaul. Thanks to Steve (on another forum) who helped me identify the problem.
Thanks for asking......Roy
I didn't realize you were using the probe; my machine started performing erratically, and I removed the passive probe and electronics and it seemed to cure the problem. I never thought about it until you now mentioned the probe, sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions