Question on beach hunting techniques regarding heavy shell areas.

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a fair amount of beach hunting in Florida, not sure if this is the same on all beaches. However I have a question to see what others think.

As the tide receeds, and in my own hunting methods, I find there are long stretches of shell laden lines running up and down the beach areas parallel to the water line. I usually follow these shelly lines because I assume the shells are heavier, and I assume and have a hunch that heavier items like gold, and coins, and other metallic items also settle in these spots too. Do you also search your beaches this way? Or do you follow along bare sandy areas instead? I find more shells in troughs as well, and again I assume heavier stuff settles in these troughs. I think the shells group in peak tidal spots, low and high tides.

Anyway, just wondering what others think about this search technique? Is my logic sound? Or unrealistic search techniques?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm down there - in the water I look for those shells and coral lines or troughs
usually form after small storms - if I jump in and see no shells or coral pieces at all - I know its going to be sanded in
this one was from one of the shallow shell troughs

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gulf coast or Atlantic?
On the Gulf coast Of FL. those shell groups found on the top and middle of the shore line at low tide rarely have produced rings in the pile....aluminum is accumulated there more than anything else. The shells here are generally light, small and cupped so its easy for them to be tossed around and accumulate together. I spend more time on the bare areas between the shell groupings that is a visible lower point when looking up the beach at a low tide, and at the very bottom of the shore line that usually has a drop/cut/ridge/step down at the lowest point.

OP
OP
1869er

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually on the gulf side. I was just wondering what people here thought, check and see what methods others use. I've been going out after sunset almost everyday this week. I've noticed many long subtle troughs on my beaches lately, probably from the recent storm that passed by here. I've also been mostly working the troughs, and occasionally in the dryer areas higher up on the beach. I'm not even sure if any of this matters because I've noticed that even the shelly spots are fairly thin, also I've noticed while digging targets, bare sand will become shell laden sometimes after only 2-4 inches of digging.

Currently I can only search the beaches since I don't have a water submersible detector, planning to save up for one eventually. I think I've figured the best way to get my MXT to work over wet sand though. It rarely gives me erratic signals at all anymore, and works well for me. Its half knowing the best way to set it, and half in knowing what the target sounds indicate.

I'm going out one more night tonight and then I'll post my finds for the past week, or seven nights of searches. Unfortunately my area is really picked clean as there are a lot of detectorists in the area. But I'll post my finds anyway.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread