Question on bottle tumbling

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have been pondering on this for some time. I'm debating on getting my Gary Owen's Strengthening Bitters from New Orleans tumbled. At the top of the bottle on one side are some scuff marks and small scratches. I've seen only one other for sale and with a chipped top is still sold for over $200.00. This is a square bottle and stands about 9" tall is about 3" wide. If i were to get it tumbled, i would specify that it be a light tumble. I know there are plenty of pros and cons so lets hear them. I guess my first question is would a tumble enhance the value of this bottle?

image-4205288597.png

image-1988533092.png

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The sick and scratches on yours are not too bad at all. A good cut and polish by a pro would bring up the value at least five fold. A pro knows not to over polish, it needs to be "just right". That's a heck of a nice bottle bass assassin.

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. The scariest part is the shipping. Scared to death i'll lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bass that bottle is awesome I would be nervous about shipping it too. But there are a couple of guys out there that do a beautiful job. Personally I like the scratches and other imperfections it gives the piece a lot of character.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
No I would not get it tumbled or polished.You will lose value on that bottle.I would only polish A bottle if it was in really bad shape. Check your prices on polished stuff. A 300 dolor marble polished would lose half its valve. Same on bottles in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread