Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Here's an update;

I made sure the battery had a small foam piece added to keep contact.
Using a brand new battery.
Cleaned up the outer case very well.
I noticed that although the battery contacts in the pointer were clean and pretty much up where they need to be. BUT, one of them did seem to not be quite centered in it's respective hole. So, I adjusted them both to be a little further up in the holes toward the battery and more centered.

Then, I went out today and was a little more careful when moving it around and knocking off any loose, mineralized soil from my hands before using.

I had very minimal issues today and am very happy. I don't know for sure which trick worked or if it took all of them. But, it did work like it was supposed to and only got overly excited once or twice. I think that might have been overhead wires interference.

Thanks again for all the advice!

HH!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 reasons mine did this in the past.

when my battery was about to die (use alkaline batteries, not Heavy duty)

and when the rubber over the on/off button stuck, causing it to be half way on/off

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this problem myself, I'm not saying this is the problem, But it fixed my issues......It happens when my battery runs low, and at times when the georgia clay gets to sticking to the tip..............................HH to all the treasure net family.................:metaldetector:

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
I have the same problem with my pro pointer. My at pro balances at 88-92 also her in the red dirt of middle tn. I feel like it has to do with the mineral content of the soil here. It seem to act up less if I don't actually let it touch the soil, wet ground seems to make it worse. Anyone out there that hunts loamy black soil have the same problem with their pro pointer?
Back in April I found a 1815 half reale about 7 inches down with my at pro. It's VDI was in the 50's but the site was so hot I was digging everything anyways, I was shocked to find it so deep in red clay being such a small coin. Love the AT pro.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread