Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trying to understand what gives a PI machine more depth then a VLF machine

Does it have anything to do with the larger battery that a PI machine runs on,or what does more battery capacity put a larger magnetic field into the ground

If this is the case would the New Minelab Gold Monster do kind of the same thing since it takes 8 batteries to run,and most other VLF machines only take 4,would the added battery capacity make the Gold Monster get a little more depth or possibly quite a bit more over a standard VLF

I am just curious and trying to figure out how things work

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The battery has nothing to do with the power, my MXT runs on 8 AA=12volts, my minelab SDC 2300 PI machine uses 4 C batteries=6 volts. It is a completely different technology, as is the new Minelab GPZ, with over 6000 ft of wire in the coil.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A PI basically handles the mineralization better allowing better depth. Dennis

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK thanks for the replies don't know why I was thinking it had something to do with battery capacity.
I think I read that somewhere though but I am probably wrong was probably thinking of something else I read about.
was just hoping it was the case cause I was getting ready to do a pre order of the monster if it was LOL just hopeful thinking I guess.

That's the way to learn things though is ask questions as the way I was taught the only dumb question is the one you do not ask.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually voltage can effect depth when it comes to PI's for example; The TDI SL is spec to operate at 12volts but it has been proven that when operating at around 15 volts, sensitivity and depth increases. This is specific to the TDI SL though.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PI's don't react to mineralization, hotrocks, salt (with the right coils), etc. like VLF's do. I've been in mineralized bedrock so hot while hunting nuggets with VLF's that they wouldn't even run, and that's a fact; they were totally overwhelmed. However, with a PI, at least I was able to get some ground balance and then slay the nuggets that were trapped in that insane bedrock. I don't pretend to be a master at understanding the technology, but what I do understand is that in areas with lots of hotrocks, PI's run way quieter and react to far, far less hotrocks, PI's ignore severe ground mineralization far better and so will punch deeper. Moreover, I'm able to get rid of EMI better, etc. What I don't like about the PI's I've run to date is their weight. Saying that, I understand there are lighter PI's now that find small stuff, but they're still expensive for what they do, I believe, as there are much better VLF's now to find small gold by investing less money when the ground isn't severe.

So, if you know for a fact you'll be hunting severe ground, a PI or the new Minelab GPZ are your choices, but once again with Minelab PI's (except the 2300) , they'll be heavy. I can't comment on the other lighter PI's for hunting gold as I've never used them, but others can. I'm hearing some good stuff about the little one from France, but I'm also not sure from what I've heard if I'd classify it as a dedicated nugget machine, and Jim from Ontario uses a PI, (TDI I believe)) but he hunts silver almost exclusively, so he can jump in about his machine if he would like to.

So, asking about the battery capacity, I believe, might not be all there is to a PI punching deeper into the ground.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread