Question on pin pointers from an newbie?

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this hobby and have just barely gotten out of the back yard. I have a bounty hunter detector and an auto max pin pointer both of which serve me well so far. My problem is that I sometimes end up digging more than I desire to find the treasure. I've looked at the Cache Pro 250 Pin Pointer. They look attractive to me in that it looks like I could probe the soil, in most cases, and zero in on my target and do less damage to the environment. Does anyone have experience with this pin pointer? I can't find any reviews from the sellers. Thanks in advance for your help.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, there's usually a reason for that... :-\

Bran <><

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look attractive to me in that it looks like I could probe the soil, in most cases, and zero in on my target and do less damage to the environment.

:icon_scratch:

Digging a hole doesn't hurt the environment, so don't fret about that. So long as your replace any grass/plant life and tamp firmly you'll be fine and don't let anyone tell you different :tongue3: If you doubt me, just take a look at your local golf course fairways that have literally been hacked hour after hour, and yet the grass lives :dontknow: IF anything a little digging is good as it aerates the soil :icon_thumright:. Yeah, I've got a green thumb :laughing7:

OP
OP
O

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I should have simply asked if anyone has had any dealings with the Cache Pro Pointer.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Man Walking , forgive me if I state the obvious . You say your new to detecting . Have you mastered the art of pinpointing with your detector yet ? Does your machine tell you how deep your target is ? The Cache Pro Pointer is a nice locator , but you need to be as close to your target as possible to begin with . Bury some targets that you know exact location & depth . Once you understand your detector & pinpoint mode , it will help any pinpointer do it's final job . Hope this helps .:thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have a Bulleye II, hate it and never use it. I rely on the built in pin pointer on my Ace250 and it does the job just fine. :tongue3: I just think pin pointers are a waste of money and to hear people talk about quicker recovery is nothing more malarkey. What do they actually save, a few seconds :dontknow: :laughing7:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spartacus , I'm not trying to be sarcastic , but maybe you could sell it to Old Man Walking . Maybe it will help him . Maybe his eyesight is'nt what it used to be ? Either way , I'm sure he would appreciate it . Just a thought of making 2 detectorists happy .:thumbsup:

OP
OP
O

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right XLTer, My eyes aren't strong, and neither is my hearing. My ears ring so loud that it bothers people around me, making it hard to master the tones and hone in on a target. Sometimes I'm right on but the other day I dug a hole that you could hide a new Buick in, and only found a clad penny. My back ain't too good either so I really need to lessen the digging in order to continue with this hobby. So, if any of you have had any dealings with the Cache Pro 250, I'd appreciate any info that you can provide, whether good or bad.

I actually did bury a variety of coins in the garden and experimented and learned quite a bit. I'm just looking for something easy I guess. I use the all metal mode to pin point. My hearing is a drawback.

Spartacus, Uh, I don't know what a Bulleye II is, but it looks to me like you have to dig the hole first in order to use it. I'm there already. Maybe someone younger with good eyes and ears who don't mind digging will make an offer.
Thanks again and good luck to all.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used the garrett pro pointer, and I mean, it is not just saving a couple seconds like spartacus said, it saves unlimited amount of time...

The ace 250 does have a decent pin pointer built in, but a handheld pointer makes it so much better...

Before I got the pin pointer, there were quite a few holes that I never found out what was inside, and gave up, Now I never give up...

If you only have say, 3 hours to detect, would you rather recover 20 items, or 100? I guess it does depend on where you are digging, I only have land experience, no beach or water yet...

It is a decent price tag, but well worth it IMO

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used the garrett pro pointer, and I mean, it is not just saving a couple seconds like spartacus said, it saves unlimited amount of time...

The ace 250 does have a decent pin pointer built in, but a handheld pointer makes it so much better...

I understand where you're coming from and I'm not trying to start a flame war either :laughing7: Personally, I find it a waste of money, and as for time, well... I plan on living forever and so far, so good, so time is not a great concern to me. Besides, I enjoy the day out.

As far as the Bullseye goes, I have no idea where I even put it, that's how important I found it, and it's been MIA well over a year now :laughing9:

OP
OP
O

Old man walking.

Aug 25, 2012
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to the comments and advice I'll save my money and keep practicing. I've put in a couple days of practice, buried more coins in the garden and have learned to do a better job of pin pointing. I think most of my problems zeroing in were due to hunting places with a lot of junk. I've found a lot of clad and a few keepers, wheat's mostly. Also a ton of junk and pull tabs. I'm having a ball with this addiction and I love all the info on this site. Thanks again.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man, There may be another approach to your situation. I know there are the puritans that seem to have objection to new advancements to our addiction and answering a very good question with the standard "why would you want one in the first place" type of comment. My take on what you are experiencing is what many others seem to have. The practice suggestion is good but a very good pin pointer would also help. I cannot advise you about the Auto Max pointer but I can tell you about some others that are currently available. My base pointer is now the Minelab but the Garrett seemed to be very close to its function as long as I could keep it running. My suggestion is that you pin point with your detector as close as you can then with a good pin pointer like the Minelab/Garrett you can point strait down and search on the suspected area and in most cases the pointer can locate the target find as long as it is in the first three inches of the surface. Then a simple one scoop can normally find the target. With old eyes, old ears, and old back a few minutes here and there saved really helps and aids in a more pleasant hunt.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Old man walking, Hay, I am 75, My eyes arent as good as they use to be and my hearing aid is at max power. Here's how I work it, I pinpoint it with my XLT. I then insert a metal probe in the center of my coil and touch it. I then know exactly where it is location wise and dept wise. If it is less than 3", I feel for the edge with the probe and slip it under the target and lever it to the surface. If it is more than 3", I dig a 3' dia plug just a little deeper than the target, remove it and extract the target. Now if the target is small or earth colored, I will resort to my $16 HF pinpointer to find it in a few seconds.
NOW about pinpointers. I don't care how much you pay, they all find a dime at app. 1". Now if you are not happy unless you spend a bundle on it, by all means blow your wad on a big brand name. By the way, pinpointers are not probes. You don't stick them in the ground, you stick them in a hole. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used one and never will...trust your detector and trust that you know where your target is located. Dig a small hole and if not found dig alittle bigger and deeper. Never an issue with me....:)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kyrock. How do you know which way to widen if you don't use a pinpointer. Don't tell me the detector, it told you wrong the first time. Frank

6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 063-1.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contrary to what some may say, some of the pin pointers are designed to "prob the soil" and the Cache Pro that you asked about is one of them. The two I talked about have a blunt end on them and if the soil is a bit loose probing works well. I have protective wear caps on mine to prevent wear from this action. It seems it should be the users choice as to the choice of probing the soil with the business end of the pin pointer or not. The manufactures description of your Auto max calls the the business end of its unit "the probe" and then states the length of it. What ever makes your outing more pleasant and enjoyable is what you should do.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The manufactures description of your Auto max calls the the business end of its unit "the probe" and then states the length of it. What ever makes your outing more pleasant and enjoyable is what you should do.

AH yes,Bowwinkles, That end of the pointer is called the probe, But the manufacturer does not say to shove it in the ground, but rather in the hole in the ground. If you enjoy abusing your electronic equipment by all means do so and pay the price, but please don't advise new members to follow suit. Frank
111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, never had an issue...Once I pinpoint it with the detector, front to back and side to side....I know where to dig... I've had a Tesoro Cutless II Umax for over 12 yrs. and it has never let me down...nothing fancy and it does the job. I will say, if you want a pinpointer and you think it would help you, go for it. Just saying I don't want something else to carry in the field....Peace to all and Merry Christmas!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MsSpacer.gif
MsSpacer.gif
image001.gif

Treasure hunter's pinpointers
making Cache Probes since 2002

MsSpacer.gif
MsSpacer.gif
home history manuals Service contact order links Store a.h. pro metal detectors mini-locator pinpointer

Cache-Pro PinPointer
Find more treasure with our ground piercing probe.
More coins and jewelry are lost when digging than during the primary search.

cp.png

The Only Ground Piercing Pinpointer.
Know where your target is - BEFORE you dig.

pro-main_600.gif

Locate the object before you dig instead of losing it afterwards.
[h=4] Features:

VLF metal detection with audio & LED visual indicator. [/h] [h=4](1) Ground piercing coin probe.[/h] [h=4](2) Stainless steel probe assembly.
(3) Sensitivity control knob for infinite adjustment of detection range to achieve maximum reach.

(4) Audio sounder target indicator with either "Silent until approach" or "Continuous Sound" for smoother approach.

(5) Super-Bright green LED as a visual target indicator in noisy areas or for night time searching.
[/h] [h=4](6) LED also serves as Battery status.[/h] [h=4](7) Sturdy foam grip handle[/h] [h=4](8) Single 9 volt battery operation. [/h]
(9)Rejects most ferrous objects.
(10)Black Hammertone finish.
(11)Weights less than 7 ounces (210 grams) with battery.

The stainless steel probe assembly is virtually wear resistant for penetrating the soil.
The tip and shaft combined extend out for 8 inches for deep soil penetration.
PRO-tipview2.gif

Target Response: As a buried object enters the probe tip's detection field, the LED will automatically light and the audio will simultaneously begin to sound and increase in frequency as the object gets closer. The initial detection "alert" range is a function of the object's size, metal-type and angle of approach. Physical contact is not required.

The bullet-shaped stainless steel tip is slightly larger than the shaft to reduce soil friction for easier soil entry.

The miniature search coil is located inside the tip.
Our unique metal detection technology allows the search coil to look-through the metal tip and detect metal on the outside.
The metal detection field surrounds the tip to provide both front and side viewing. Front view is more predominant.

PRO-TIP.gif

Why should I use a ground piercing pinpointer?

(1) Eliminates digging up most ferrous junk.
(2) Know exactly where and how deep the coin, ring or jewelry are BEFORE you dig.
(3) More coins, rings, etc. are lost after you dig the hole because the soil has been disturbed.
(4) Less digging because the retrieval hole is smaller.
(5) Minimizes clean-up after the find.

True Story that proves our Cache probe is a valuable asset: While treasure hunting in a public park, I noticed an individual watching me from a distance as I dug and recovered coins and other valuables. As time went on, he eventually approached me and asked me what I was doing. I explained to him that this was my hobby. I explained the process of metal detecting and locating the coin with my Cache Probe before digging and therefore retrieving it without making a big hole. He then introduced himself as the park manager. I thought he would tell me to leave. However, he said he was watching me search and dig and that he was impressed at to the minimal disturbance to the ground . He noted that picnickers were doing far more disturbance to the park grounds through littering and that I was welcome to stay. I thanked him, continued to search and recover more valuables.

Allen Hametta
President/Intex Systems Corp.

PRO-LEDX.gif
PRO-TOP_200.gif
PRO-bottom_200.gif
Bright LED Indicator Sensitivity Threshold Adjustment Power toggle switch. Sound port in handle.

Intex Systems Corp.

1905 Marketview Drive., Ste. 111
Yorkville, IL 60560
home history manuals Service contact order links a.h. pro metal detectors mini-locator pinpointer
[h=6]
Copyright 2010

fpcount.exe
[/h]
I didn't know they existed. Frank

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread