Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be entirely up to you. I keep everything from '69 back (I like the way they look) and search all pennies for errors. They can be time consuming, but very fun. Good luck!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I mostly search pennies, and here is what I keep.

-All pre 1959 pennies
-I keep the coppers, because they might eventually sell as "junk copper" bags, just like they do with silver coins.
-Any penny with an S mintmark after 1974
-2009 pennies

I continually upgrade my collection.

Also, cheak for the 1959 wheatie reverse. Who know's, mabey one might turn up.

~There is a person named shake-n-bake, and he searches MASSIVE amounts of coins. Cheak it out.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,275499.msg1963600.html#msg1963600

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,273339.msg1947078.html#msg1947078

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i usually keep all wheats. i only keep CU pennies i find in pocket change. i would have a ton if i kept all from box searching. i only keep pre 1960 as those 1964's would take up too much room. i also keep anything i need to fill holes in my collection or to upgrade the ones i do have. i also keep all s mint marks. mostly because they are harder to find here on the east coast.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Copper is at $2.96 lb.
A Cu cent has almost 2 cents in melt value ($.0197).

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
Copper is at $2.96 lb.
A Cu cent has almost 2 cents in melt value ($.0197).

If only they could be melted (legally).

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
people were selling coppers for about 1.6 cents on ebay a year ago. right now the market is much less - 1.4 if you can get it. so no need to melt them, although if the melt ban was repealed then you would probably get almost melt price.

copper is just under $3 now. when it gest to $6, a copper cent is worth 4 cents. When it gets to $15, they'll be worth 10 cents.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Right now people are selling $50 bags of copper pennies for about $80. Last year it was $130. If you kept the copper ones for a year, and then sold them at $100, you'd be doubling your money in a year. I wish I knew of a mutaul fund that could do that! And if you "only" still get $80 for it? That's still up 60%, which isn't bad for a year. Or sell them NOW, and make 60% NOW. IN a week, instead of a year.

I'm keeping all copper pennies for now. I'm selling none. I can afford to keep the ones i have, and it's not like if i sold at 60% in a week it would be higher than 100% in a year, because it would not therefore increase my take the next week (LIke on a stock or a house) So I"m holding on, and not selling. Not at these levels. I expect to sell in about a year. But knowing that they could be sold at $80 RIGHT NOW, that makes it a lot less risky to hold onto them. Knowing I was able to sell last year at $130 also helps. It wiped out my inventory and now it is building up while the price is "down" ... at that $80 current level, which is still up 60% from what i pay for it in a box. (Did I mention that alreadY? It has what is called intrinsic value of 60%, and you get that for free! Why NOT keep copper, if you have the room?)

So I think keeping copper is worth it. Would you get a "ton" of it? Uhhh ... I'm well past a ton right now in the garage. But that's fine. It is in a cabinet (on the floor) out there, and not hurting anyone. The garage is not leaning to one side. And I"ve starting putting some on the other side of the garage too, so it won't lean to one side. LOL.

And getting 2,000 wheats a year while going through and getting those copper pennies is just a bonus. Unless you're SnB. Then you get 20,000 wheats in a year. The man's a monsta'!! :-)

What do YOU think?

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
from 59-79 i keep all the copper pennies from my change and from my digs i was reading that the mint was going to make another release of another lincoln penny for 2010 that was going to be all copper dont know if it is going into circulation or if it is just going to be for the collectornot a big yankee fan but i like to collect coins so i am keeping them i am just waiting for the last of the 4 new pennies to come out if i havent already missed them. i cant remember who it was but last summer a tnet member said keep all copper pennies and he would tell us why in june of 08 have not heard from him yet and also a lot of the hospitals are going to copper fixtures something about germs and bacteria have a hard time maturing on copper and they die off and less sickness from the hospitals just a guess copper is 2.76 a pound in my part of missouri

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Coins4Cheese said:
I have been know to search a few boxes!
jrf30 said:
And getting 2,000 wheats a year while going through and getting those copper pennies is just a bonus. Unless you're SnB. Then you get 20,000 wheats in a year. The man's a monsta'!! :-)

I take that as a compliment... I think!!!
And it is not 20,000, only 18,000 right now hoping to hit 20,000 by the end of the year. :hello2:

I search for coppers and wheats. Copper is going to be a metal that is going to increase hugely as the world economy advances(which it will recover) if you can hoard it do it. it will be a win win situtation.

Good Luck with your search and hope this helps,
Jason

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
golden silver said:
Anybody know how much a Ryedale costs? Thanks

Golden Silver

There are a few models, depending on what you want.

There are links and a website, so google it for Ryedale or even go to youtube, where you can see one working and then link. Andy is a nice guy and easy to work with.

I've said it before. I'd rather have one Ryedale than 4 of my White's DFX MDs. It's that good in getting me keepers. And i can do it right in my house, as opposed to outside and sometimes far away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread