Question on Silver Umax coils...

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, i am trying to squeeze a little more depth out of my wifes Silver Umax. So i tried out a 10x12 DD widescan cooil from an Outlaw. Done an airtest comparison between it and the stock 8" concentric....well, there was very little gain(maybe 1") and targets didnt sound nearly as "clean". Is this because her machine isnt "tuned" for this coil? Would the 10x12 spoked concentric be any better? If not; we may just trade up to the Cibola....

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I have noticed doing air test is that the swing speed you pass the coin by the coil can make as much as 2-3" of difference on my Tejon. Also always do the test on the bottom of the coil, not the top. Of course if it is a concentric coil, make sure you are in the middle of the coil.

As far as the tuning, call Rusty Henry at Tesoro and see what says and how big of a difference it will make. I always read the 10x12 was deep on the Silver. Don't recall if that was with a concentric or DD.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot about the 10x12 concentric being good on the silver but nothing about the widescan. And my air test was very thorough and 7" was max in all metal and 6" in disc with stock coil on silver quarter. The big DD coil got almost an inch more, at most. But after 4" it began to sound rough and choppy, not like a coin. Where the stock coil sounded nice and clean all the way to max depth.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not knocking the Cibola which is a very good detector in its own right, but if I were trading up I'd definitely pick a model with manual ground balance which is also a plus when changing coils.
luvsdux

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knocking the Cibola which is a very good detector in its own right, but if I were trading up I'd definitely pick a model with manual ground balance which is also a plus when changing coils.
luvsdux
yeah....and if it were for me, it would be a Vaquero....but it is my wifes and she doesnt like the thoughts of having to ground balance....

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if you have someone in the U.S. who modifies Tesoros but to get the best performance with any machine you need to adjust the coil to the detector. A groundbalance control does this for you automatically but if your wife doesn't want to do this in the U.K. they just add a couple of componants and a flick switch each setting of which sets the detector to the setting required to get the best out of whichever coil you have just fitted.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called Tesoro today....the guy i talked with said that the Cibola coil for coil will be no deeper.....and that it is normal for the large coils to not give as clear of a signal. He also said that sending the unit in with the coil for tuning would definately help.....

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got our Silver out and did an air test with a dime. It tested 7" inches. I have some old 30 year old five pin coils and tested them. 11 inch wide scan / 8.5 inches. Then I tested a white concentric coil that was the same diameter as the donut and it surprised me. It tested at 7 inches as well. I always assumed the donuts were hotter. Oh well... sorry I could not help you.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot about the 10x12 concentric being good on the silver but nothing about the widescan. And my air test was very thorough and 7" was max in all metal and 6" in disc with stock coil on silver quarter. The big DD coil got almost an inch more, at most. But after 4" it began to sound rough and choppy, not like a coin. Where the stock coil sounded nice and clean all the way to max depth.

Sounds like my Vaquero on a 6" dime, rough & choppy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread