Question on the higher end models...

W

wodd

I would like to know does the higher end Whites [like the XLT,DFX] give you more of an idea of what your looking at. I own a Prizm ll and I am going nuts digging alot of pull tabs and I know its part of detecting but I am just wondering about this. The onething that I don't like about the Prizm ll is there is no deph gauge on it...Now back to the upper end models , does it give you more info. on what your about to dig and how accurate is it. And which one would be a better detector for coins, jewelry, and finding civil war relics..
My brother owns a Garret 250 and he wears me out, his detector shows more accurate diggs like nickels and dimes than the whites and the deph gauge seems to be a big plus since we are being careful of how far down we are digging because we are in a city park.
I thought I would throw that one in if anyone is looking for a good coin detector that is on the cheaper side of detecting.

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
A keene ear & a good eye are still necessary. They show you a possibility based upon VDI numbers & flash an Icon, but it is seldom what is actually there. I love my DFX, but I don't put a lot of faith in the Icons it shows. The signagraph is invaluable & the depth is almost always right on, but nothing out there today is going to be totally acurate in showing you what you are digging. Spotz

O

Oddfello

I have to agree with Spotz. While I am new with the DFX, I can say at this point I pay little attention to the icons. Given I have dug mostly dimes and pennies, the fact that they do register as dimes or pennies is still more generic than scientific. The SignaGraph however is a feature that really makes the machine worth the money for me. Partnered with the tone I feel pretty confident about what I am digging.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know if there is a detector out there that tell exactly what you have found all the time. I have a Whites IDX Pro, it dos not always give the correct ID. So many things influence the signal; size, depth, angle of target, time buried, soil type, moisture content, users ability and knowledge. I would just concentrate on learning the detector you have. Your confidence and finds should both get better.

Ed

TOWcritter

Hi. I am a newbie at detecting and did alot of research before I bought my 1st machine about 3 months ago. I bought a whites MXT. At only $700, I wouldn't call it high end pricewise. But it is high end feature wise. A real high end machine is one of those $3000 Minelab gold machines! Of course it's like anything else. You spend what you can afford for the features that you want. Just like buying a new computer. You pay extra for extra features. You may not need them all now but eventually you will wish you had them. It's all about what you want to do with the machine or what you want the machine to do for you. Sorry for the long winded post. Good Hunting!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
In my experience, my XLT is pretty accurate. While not 100%, it is in the 90th precentile. There are some things that will fool it, usually different aluminum alloys or foil will sometimes register as a coin, or gold. That's why if you get a good signal, both audible and visual, you dig. I will have to agree with the others here about White's Signa-Graph. It's an awesome feature to have on a detector. While the icon may sometimes be wrong, the Signa-Graph rarely is.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread