deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was studying one of the old USGS maps the other night and began to wonder how they got the names for every little hill or knoll back in the early days.

I understand some such as Ayre's Hill, named for the family that lived there or Old Mill Run named from the historic mill that was there...

But some places clear into the boonies have names and what surprised me from a 1938 map was a hill with a racial slur...N**** Hill. Saying I was shocked to see it would be an understatement.

I know racism was bad so in itself that didn't surprise me...but a government map? And exactly who told the surveyor that was the name of the hill or did he make it up?

I don't know at what point that was deleted from maps but it's not in the current ones, as were a lot of the oddball mountain knob names.

Al

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess that some names just run their course and are eventually renamed. We do the same thing for schools and streets in every city. Just think, in 50 years you won't be able to find anything, or your way home without a really updated GPS system :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deepskyal said:
I was studying one of the old USGS maps the other night and began to wonder how they got the names for every little hill or knoll back in the early days.

I understand some such as Ayre's Hill, named for the family that lived there or Old Mill Run named from the historic mill that was there...

But some places clear into the boonies have names and what surprised me from a 1938 map was a hill with a racial slur...N**** Hill. Saying I was shocked to see it would be an understatement.

I know racism was bad so in itself that didn't surprise me...but a government map? And exactly who told the surveyor that was the name of the hill or did he make it up?

I don't know at what point that was deleted from maps but it's not in the current ones, as were a lot of the oddball mountain knob names.

Al

A lot of black settlements were referred to this way. As a young boy (1964), we had relatives in Prattville, Alabama, that we visited. As an adventure, my cousin took me up "N*GG*R Hill," to the little village, which of course was made up of poor blacks. You will find the same thing on old west maps - "Indian Hill," "Red Hill," "Heathen Hill," the list goes on.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think it was such a slur then or should be one now. Obviously was a variation of Nigeria. So what? Its just a word. If someone calls me a whitey, honkey or cracker am I offended? Not in the least. If they are indeed changing names I wish they would stop.

jmho

K

Kentucky Kache

spartacus53 said:
I would guess that some names just run their course and are eventually renamed. We do the same thing for schools and streets in every city. Just think, in 50 years you won't be able to find anything, or your way home without a really updated GPS system :laughing7:

And the fact that I'll be 99 years old won't help, either.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see a lot of that on old maps up here in Massachusetts.
A place on today's maps called "Heath Hen Meadow" is "Heathen Meadow" on old maps, and old diaries refer to it as the place where the local Indians still lived.
Same with Pegan Hill .vs. Pagan Hill.
And many other examples.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and the names will change over time. i have an old map with a "haunted" hollow on it. later maps refer to it as Walden hollow

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know a school recently had the text in "Huck Finn" changed to eliminate a WORD and replace it with another. That's just not right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread