Question on UV Light

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK guys, I got my hands on an Avon Derma Spec UV Light at a garage sale...I have rigged it up for portable use with a battery pack...My question is, would it be worth while to do a walk at night along the sandy beach area of the Trinity River in East Texas with this light???...There are a few gravel bars that are easy to get to...Lots of petrified wood there.. Is there anything in this area that might Fluoresce (SIC) under UV Light??? I am just talking about for fun, not to find anything valuable..I was told certain minerals, and gems will glow under UV.....Thanks for any input on this subject....Tom

C

Cappy Z.

Sounds very interesting. I wish you well..and please post your results. Maybe try one of the electronics etc threads.

HH

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know what minerals show up in texas,BUT SCORPIANS DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strickman said:
don't know what minerals show up in texas,BUT SCORPIANS DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I heard they catch Scorpions that way.........I am looking forward to playing around with this gizmo next week...Anyone have any ideas where I might find info on what kind of minerals are in that area, or which one fluoresce???? Thanks......

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The best way to find out is to give it a try! The light you are using may not be the best for rocks and gems though. Do you know what kind of UV light it emits, such as short or long wave light?

If you have some success with it, and like it, you might want to get a light that is made for hunting gems and minerals.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I am going to give it a shot on the banks of the Trinity River...If nothing else it will be fun....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread