Question on whites coils

nolifeking

Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

Recently I decided to add a new coil to my arsenal. I got a decent job this summer so money isn't too big of issue, but I don't want to buy a coil that I don't need either. Right now I am running the white's DFX 300. I typically use a kellyco 6in DD. I've done a few garden tests with it against my super 12 coil and it has kept up with it in every way. I'm looking to get a nice middle range coil. I love the 6in DD, but it isn't great at covering much ground obviously and the super 12 has all kinds of problems when I get into an old yard that has rustly nails. I've asked this question of a few others who suggested the 950 over the D2 because of depth. It had always been my general knowledge that the DD coils perform better than concentric coils so I figured I would ask. Right now I do 90% of my detecting in older yards or parks. Typically they have a lot of man made iron and I seldom find a spot that isn't trashy. The 6in DD has done great for me pulling deep targets away from the nails and has help me find plenty of targets missed by the super 12. It is just too small of a coil for most big yards especially when you might only get one shot to hit a yard. That is why I was looking for a nice medium size coil. The two I was most focused on was the white's 950 and 10" D2. I detect in wisconsin which I believe has pretty average soil conditions nothing too harsh. Has anybody had any particularly better luck with either one on the DFX? Thank you in advance for all the help.

~Nolifeking

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
well, lets deal with reality, a concentric coil will go deeper than a DD of the same size. A concentric coil will pinpoint and sort thru trash better than a DD. Why are you wasting all the money fooling around with different size and design coils? The trick in metal detecting that you have to learn is how to read what your coil is writting. I can run my stock 9.5" coil over an target and tell you how deep it is, how large it is and what shape it is and in some cases what material it is made from. First you have to locate an object. Then from carefully coming in from all sides of the target you can generally tell the size and shape. sometimes you can tell if there are several targets by carefully monitering the ID #'s as you pass the coil over the target. As far as the dept, it is calibrated for coins and is accurate for coins but with a large target boy will it lie! You have a good detector. You just have to learn how to read it. Frank

OP
OP
N

nolifeking

Oct 12, 2010
Frankn said:
well, lets deal with reality, a concentric coil will go deeper than a DD of the same size. A concentric coil will pinpoint and sort thru trash better than a DD. Why are you wasting all the money fooling around with different size and design coils? The trick in metal detecting that you have to learn is how to read what your coil is writting. I can run my stock 9.5" coil over an target and tell you how deep it is, how large it is and what shape it is and in some cases what material it is made from. First you have to locate an object. Then from carefully coming in from all sides of the target you can generally tell the size and shape. sometimes you can tell if there are several targets by carefully monitering the ID #'s as you pass the coil over the target. As far as the dept, it is calibrated for coins and is accurate for coins but with a large target boy will it lie! You have a good detector. You just have to learn how to read it. Frank

Thanks for the quick response. I know I've got a lot to learn about the machine since I've only had it about 2 years. I've been detecting for the past 8 years though. I know what you mean about size and depth of targets. I'm getting better at it distinguishing between different targets before I dig. If I had bought the DFX and not the DFX 300 I probably would have been fine and never bought another coil. But the super 12 just doesn't cut it. You can be a good detectorist and still have problems running a super 12 in a trashy spot. That was the only reason why I bought the smaller coil. Off the top of my head I pulled at least 5 older silver coins out of the ground with my 6in dd that my 12in couldn't touch because of powerlines or just how much iron was in the ground. Not to mention the poor pinpointing that these 12in coils have. Realistically now that I've tried out the 12in I probably don't need it. And it may very well be that once I get a new coil a 950 or 10in DD I won't want the 6in either. In my situation it made sense. Right now I'm just looking for a nice medium coil. So far as much good that I've heard about the 10 DD I'm leaning towards the 950.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread