DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My observation of this was first hand in Florida. It appeared to have something to do with tidal surge. For example assuming to identical storms, same wind direction, speed, and rainfall, at different tide surges. One hits and remains through low tide, one hits and remains through high tide. The storm coinciding with high tide should cause considerably more damage and erosion than the storm that hits at low tide. The reason, the low tide storm cannot push the higher waves as far into the beach. The high tide storm is doing more damage because the high waves it is causing are being pushed further onto the beach due to the raised water levels of the high tide.

That is my half way educated attempt to explain it by what I observed.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply DaChief.

ocjeff

Oct 14, 2009
ocean city maryland
Detector(s) used
excalibur, cz20, v3
hi, here in Maryland and Delaware it did alot of damage. 17 to 20 foot waves, 30 to 40 kt winds, gust to 60 kt. moved massive tons of sand off the beach. cut into the dune line up to 10 to 15 feet into it. some of the crossovers to get to the beach at the end was a 12 foot drop to get to the beach. and then again i have seen storms pile sand up on the beach. so i guess what i am trying to say is i don't have a clue? lol hh Jeff

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ocjeff said:
hi, here in Maryland and Delaware it did alot of damage. 17 to 20 foot waves, 30 to 40 kt winds, gust to 60 kt. moved massive tons of sand off the beach. cut into the dune line up to 10 to 15 feet into it. some of the crossovers to get to the beach at the end was a 12 foot drop to get to the beach. and then again i have seen storms pile sand up on the beach. so i guess what i am trying to say is i don't have a clue? lol hh Jeff
I appreciate your reply Jeff. Did the storm hit your area at high tide?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else to add to the tides, from what I know on the East coast, you get a lot more damage to the beach when the surf hits the shore from the Northeast, hitting the shore line at about 190 degrees. High tides plus winds from the northeast is the best....

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply THunter. This last storm, the waves were coming in parallel to the shoreline.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread