Question: Shoot or Poop tube, for gold sluicing

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
SO yeah, I've been using a rain gutter sluice for a while now and it's done very well collecting gold( I only find small flakes and tiny sand like pieces of gold)

SO my question is WHY it's called a shoot tube( or poop tube, meaning it "Sh**ts ) out tons of gold.. Which is not true. Or am I missing something?

Anyways, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my language, the purpose of this thread is to inform.
And that information is that a nice little rain gutter sluice works just fine for collecting gold.. ANd ,most of it ends up at the top.. :sign13:

So, do these things just waste fine gold like mad? I mean, sure, big nuggets and pebbles roll right off, but they do the same thing on some keens and other store bought sluices I've seen, so... Yeah, if you're strapped on cash and want to have some fun in the dirty... try a shoot tube!

This is the part that you ask me questions or methodically tear apart my post like a wild Bohemian mountain bear! :icon_sunny: :read2:

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at home i take a bilge pump ,screen down my concentrates -run thru a poop tube to catch my fines . i usually quick pan for decent pieces - then poop tube . when set up they catch fine gold pretty good . sometimes i rescreen finer and run the blue bowl .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old school green bowl(no tampex wings) then blue rocks my world and best sluice I've ever owned is a Le Trap and thieves even love them too as I've lost 2 2 them-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why ohhhhhh why are people loosing big gold out of any sluice..........?????????? :help: read :read2: drink coffee.. :read2: read more.... the problem with a round bottom sluice i.e. poop tube, drain pipe is the fact that your not using all the surface area. rain gutter sluices with v-mat and expanded metal are great for classified material....and any loss of recovery because of narrow width can be overcome by more length. the only way you will lose pickers out of any...........any......any...wet classifacation recovery equipment(sluice) is gold stuck in clay, or your sluice has such extreme drop that a gravity is pulling pieces out of your sluice, set up with too much drop.....just like panning at to steep of an angle the gold slides out if its not settled and doesnt get caught in a gravity trap.the main thing that affects fine gold recover in any sluice is the fact that the gold never touches the bottom of the sluice. If you have properly classified...your sluice is running right and you feed to quickly the gold you lose is so fine it never touched the bottom of the sluice, and thats why it was lost.slickplates dredgehoses/flares all create a suspended slurry specific gravity gets the gold to the bottom of the recovery sluice and once it hits the bottom it pushes until it gets caught in some sort of catch, drop riffle, in front of or behind a riffle most likely one of the very first ones it hits.......and there it will stay with a small chance of being disturbed by scouring and less likely by water flow itself. :icon_thumright: think about how hard it is to get the fine stuff out of the v-mat when you do a clean up of your stream sluice even with it all tipped up splashing water on it.other than classification getting the gold to the bottom of the sluice is key.

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
pvillehunter said:
why ohhhhhh why are people loosing big gold out of any sluice..........?????????? :help: read :read2: drink coffee.. :read2: read more.... the problem with a round bottom sluice i.e. poop tube, drain pipe is the fact that your not using all the surface area. rain gutter sluices with v-mat and expanded metal are great for classified material....and any loss of recovery because of narrow width can be overcome by more length. the only way you will lose pickers out of any...........any......any...wet classifacation recovery equipment(sluice) is gold stuck in clay, or your sluice has such extreme drop that a gravity is pulling pieces out of your sluice, set up with too much drop.....just like panning at to steep of an angle the gold slides out if its not settled and doesnt get caught in a gravity trap.the main thing that affects fine gold recover in any sluice is the fact that the gold never touches the bottom of the sluice. If you have properly classified...your sluice is running right and you feed to quickly the gold you lose is so fine it never touched the bottom of the sluice, and thats why it was lost.slickplates dredgehoses/flares all create a suspended slurry specific gravity gets the gold to the bottom of the recovery sluice and once it hits the bottom it pushes until it gets caught in some sort of catch, drop riffle, in front of or behind a riffle most likely one of the very first ones it hits.......and there it will stay with a small chance of being disturbed by scouring and less likely by water flow itself. :icon_thumright: think about how hard it is to get the fine stuff out of the v-mat when you do a clean up of your stream sluice even with it all tipped up splashing water on it.other than classification getting the gold to the bottom of the sluice is key.

Very Solid information.. I learned several things.. THANKS! :read2: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions