Question-Underwater engineering

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Here are accounts from the intial 2 explosions, given by BP workers who were on the rigs.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/06/04/ac.rig.explosion.survivors.cnn?hpt=T2

itmaiden

PcolaBoy said:
Jose took the words right out of my mouth. The pressure of the oil/gas mixture coming out would take anything that is pliable and rip it to shreds.

My father is an engineer with one of the many oil field services companies contracted by BP to do the work around the failed Blow Out Preventer and says that BP has told them no solution they can come up with is too expensive. I truly feel like BP is trying but the political circus and media frenzy forming around the disaster would rather the mindless masses think otherwise.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Oil Industry Veteran...YouTube video suggests nuking opening.

itmaiden

wwace said:
Unfortunately this whole oil spill could have been shut down within 48 hrs of the platforms sinking. One small tactical nuke and poof, no more leaks. Apparently the Russians have used this procedure 3 or 4 times and at least one Navy Captain said it could be accomplished with a large amount of conventional explosives, so I believe we are at the mercy of incompetents in D.C. as I am positive they were fully briefed about these methods. It's almost as if our government wants this spill to be as disastrous as possible. The whole thing makes me sick.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Looking at the Gulf spill today just makes me cry, I lived threw the Exxon Valdez spill here and effects from that can still be dug up. BP, Transocean Haliburton whoever else neglect resulted in the origination of this disaster. But the true catastrophe is that the government can't or won't make the correct decisions to end it. Laws passed after the Prince William Sound Spill required Government assets in place to alleviate hazards (and completely contain) from spill such as this. This is just another example of big government failure. Failure to ensure equipment such as sonar activated BOP was required, sufficient booms, skimmers, dispersant and submarine resources which the private sector usually cannot provide individually but contribute through taxes for the purchase of these assets. Failure of such magnitude that may ruin the livelihood of millions of people because funds are missused and squandered. What point relying on liars, crooks and worse for our very existence, hold BP accountable but realize the true issues are that our all powerful Uncle Sam leaders are the only ones with the absolute power to have stopped this disaster with immediate action and ultimately are the ones responsible for allowing this to happen.

BP doesn't give a damn, USA gov doesn't either, people have no power to do anything but breathe or die. The system of regulation and irresponsibility doesn't work. The regulatory body is responsible for both the prevention and solution to these crisis. They have removed the power from business and private entities, through taxation, regulation and mandate have removed the ability of Corporations to be sole defendant in cases as such, and they will continue to do so because the balance of power has shifted from the people to government. The answer is easy, but real revolution is required to solve underlying faults, our government needs to evolve to a body of honesty and action, corruption was cute in its day but I think we have had it with that. Time to change.

Sorry about ranting on and on
D

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I think many of us share great concern and distress at what is happening in the Gulf. Many of us too would like to see a reputable respectable government. But in my belief, there is only one government which will ever meet our expectations, and Jesus isn't here yet.

itmaiden

wwace said:
Sorry about ranting on and on
D

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
my brother runs 2 refineries, he says a $500.00 valve might have prevented most of the mess. I say make a large aluminum cork tapered to fit the pipe and ram it home. set it in blockhouse and lower it in the hole when it reaches the bottom. in the blockhouse have a hydraulic ram to push the cork in. you can weight the blockhouse down with sandbags. you could weld a blockhouse together in a day.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
James Cameron was on Larry King tonight and speaking on the pressure level towards the bottom of the well, and the problem with plugging the well possibly creating a "blow out" somewhere else.

He said when the well was originally drilled, there was a concentric ring not properly sealed and this is what allowed the Methane to travel up the pipe creating the problem. He said it isn't as simple as just "plugging the hole" because of the amount pressure within the well.

He stated they are attempting to drill into the pipe sideways from a half mile a way in an attempt to seal the hole, and fill it with mud.

itmaiden

wwwtimmcp said:
my brother runs 2 refineries, he says a $500.00 valve might have prevented most of the mess. I say make a large aluminum cork tapered to fit the pipe and ram it home. set it in blockhouse and lower it in the hole when it reaches the bottom. in the blockhouse have a hydraulic ram to push the cork in. you can weight the blockhouse down with sandbags. you could weld a blockhouse together in a day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread