devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll try to keep this as short as I can. Some years ago I dug a piece of shell frag hard encased in our Georgia red clay. It was during the summer and the red clay was like concrete. I knocked enough of the clay from the iron to tell that it was a piece of shell frag, but peering through the red clay in the middle of the iron was what appeared to be white patina like that of lead. When I got home I began working on this piece and the more I cleaned this white lead patina in the frags middle began to take some type of shape. Once cleaned the backside of the frag had a hole blown through. A soldier, I believe a Federal soldier took and used melted lead from either lead bars or Minnie' balls and poured the lead into the cavity of the frag shaping and forming an Eagle. I wouldn't take anything for this piece. I would like to clean the iron up a bit around the lead and really make the Eagle stand out. My question is would the vinegar hurt the lead in any way? I was thinking about cleaning the iron up a bit and once this was done take a small brush and carefully go around the shape of the Eagle using Gempler's Rust Converter to further preserve this piece. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I know this is just a piece of shell frag but I wouldn't take anything for it.

Upvote 0

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah that's stuff acidic so if it's something that needs the gentle touch I would skip on that. It's pretty corrosive and I've ruined stuff using it before even fresh new jewelry. Probably better to just use distilled water over time like I've heard lots of people do. If you do use vinegar though make sure to wash it out really really good anything that's left continues to corrode, I learned that the hard way.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed this one in the past.
I like to "Try" to help everyone esp, Georgia Diggers with "my Opinion" on Things.
Please take nothing I say as 'the only way' or 'The right answer'.
It's all just My Opinion or what I would do in a certain situation .

Me--On the Shell Frag I would just Brass brush around the Lead piece as best I could W/O Touching it & maybe just brush or Dremel the rest of the Frag , using no Chemicals. Depends on the Size of the Piece.
but
With a relic so sentimental to me , I in no way would want to mess up the Lead.
After brushing I'd use a small brush & paint a clear sealer of your choice ,leaving the lead un-coated.
I'd just take my time & get it just the way my OCD Butt would want it.
GL
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread