Question, What do you do with your blacksands....

AuExplorer

Oct 28, 2007
Currently Spanish Trail Utah
Detector(s) used
V-sat & Falcon Gold Probe
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what you mean about contaminates but I dont dump anything that may be a "contaminate",on the ground!!!I have probably two fifty five gallon drums full from the past(I dont know why) I have kept them but after reading another post on hear about smelting them I am glad I have kept them.The area I do my panning is probably a foot deep with them also!!Their is a machining company that advertises in the paper that they buy black sands,now I know why!

OP
OP
AuExplorer

AuExplorer

Oct 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Most people do not realize how finely dispersered mercury can be. It is one of those darn if you do and darn if you dont senerio's. Most Backyard propectors can not afford to steam strip their tails, and that is what your waste black sands are.( tailings ).

Before people claim I am bashing mercury, be informed, I am a "tinner" from hell. I was just curious as to what most like minded people do with their waste blacksands. Personally I perfer the copper plate method when running my black sands or head ore and then if I must "charged" mercury in the tumbler.

Other than steam stripping, I have found the "bathing method" effective but costly for removing most, not all of the dirty materials. Do any like minded people have a solution to this ancient problem.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
What do you kind folks do with your blacksands after amalgamation.....

What I do after amalgamation is place the blacksand into a post driver a little at a time and crush it into powder. I then start the amalgamation over again…Art

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't use mercury, I pan all that I can. Will try to get my hands on a blue bowl though..

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
The secret for using a blue bowl is always screening your material. I lower the water level way down when I am running the 100 mesh cons. I run my cons in the winter in my warm garage. I listen to the radio and drink a few beers and enjoy getting all the gold out…Art

ChuckNC

May 8, 2005
I still have all my blacksands. One thing I have thought of doing, even before I saw this vid, was to crush all my blacksands to as fine a pwoder as possible and run them thru a popandson cleanup sluice, then fire the supercons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdikUKNLCHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXGbp8KJAo

This would probably work well for you too Explorer. Take a look at these 2 and you'll see what I mean.

Here's the design link. All thanks and acknolegement to popandson and all the guys who worked on this sluice. Thanks guys.
http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-viewthread?forum=2&thread=694&postnum=0&highlight=

I do have access to Hg, but find it simpler to use gravity methods and leaching rather than having to use Hg.

Chuck

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I've read a lot on the popandson fine gold sluice, I'm also over there...
It's supposed to catch 10 micron! 8)
Sorry for Hijacking your post... :-\

OP
OP
AuExplorer

AuExplorer

Oct 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
:) It's all good,

I am very content with the system I have, I was just curious as to what other like minded people might be doing with their tails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread