Question: What Is Super Tuning?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should call Tesoro and ask the question with a Tech. I am not sure you can do it with a Cortes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is more or less an urban myth from the old days of TR and BFO reverse discrimination and the sort. One belief is that you take a machine that has a threshold control, take the machine out of All Metal and set it in the Discrimination mode, then max out the threshold for more depth.. whatever. Most people nowadays refer to "Super Tuning," simply as running your machine as hot as you can without too much chatter and falsing you can live with.

Run hot, run deep! :headbang:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its a myth that Tesoro is still pushing for many of their detectors to provide extra depth and they should know. It works well with one drawback of the effect on the pinpointing/all metal mode.

Its not just a case of wacking up the controls. I think Tesoro suggest rejection set to the iron level and sensitivity increased until chatter starts, then back the control to just regain sensitivity. Then increase threshold to maximum or as near as you can get it without the detector becoming unstable.

Really can up your finds rate. Reverse discrimination really works as well but whats called reverse discrimination nowdays is nothing of the sort as you need a pushbutton or ADS type retune on the handle which few detectors have today.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
Well its a myth that Tesoro is still pushing for many of their detectors to provide extra depth and they should know...

I went looking and could not find the Tesoro guide to Super tuning Brian. Can you provide the link? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
U.K. Brian said:
Well its a myth that Tesoro is still pushing for many of their detectors to provide extra depth and they should know...

I went looking and could not find the Tesoro guide to Super tuning Brian. Can you provide the link? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Its in the Vaquero manual (BELOW). It can be done with the Cortes but I think it screws up VDI readings.

Super Tune Your Vaquero
The Vaquero can be set up to get even better depth and sensitivity while operating in the DISCRIMINATE Mode. Super tuning is accomplished by working in the DISCRIMINATE Mode and turning the THRESHOLD knob to the highest setting.

Super tuning your Vaquero will cause the threshold audio level to be set too high for accurate All Metal or Pinpointing operation.

To start, turn the DISCRIMINATE LEVEL knob to just above the IRON setting and turn the SENSITIVITY knob as high as it will go without causing the detector to chatter. Check a target or two and notice how far away you can get from the coil and still receive a repeatable audio signal. Now, turn up the THRESHOLD knob and recheck the targets. You should see an increase in the distance from the target to the coil. Push the PINPOINT button. Notice that the threshold tone is far too loud to accurately identify some of your targets.

When hunting with a super tuned Vaquero, you should ground balance the detector with the threshold tone set at the level of a low steady hum. After you have ground balanced, you can turn up the THRESHOLD knob to super tune your detector.

Take some time to try different targets and settings in an air test to see how well your detector will work in the ground.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ism said:
Terry Soloman said:
U.K. Brian said:

Its in the Vaquero manual (BELOW). It can be done with the Cortes but I think it screws up VDI readings.

Super Tune Your Vaquero
The Vaquero can be set up to get even better depth and sensitivity while operating in the DISCRIMINATE Mode. Super tuning is accomplished by working in the DISCRIMINATE Mode and turning the THRESHOLD knob to the highest setting.

Super tuning your Vaquero will cause the threshold audio level to be set too high for accurate All Metal or Pinpointing operation.

To start, turn the DISCRIMINATE LEVEL knob to just above the IRON setting and turn the SENSITIVITY knob as high as it will go without causing the detector to chatter. Check a target or two and notice how far away you can get from the coil and still receive a repeatable audio signal. Now, turn up the THRESHOLD knob and recheck the targets. You should see an increase in the distance from the target to the coil. Push the PINPOINT button. Notice that the threshold tone is far too loud to accurately identify some of your targets.

When hunting with a super tuned Vaquero, you should ground balance the detector with the threshold tone set at the level of a low steady hum. After you have ground balanced, you can turn up the THRESHOLD knob to super tune your detector.

Take some time to try different targets and settings in an air test to see how well your detector will work in the ground.

Thank You Ism!!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its in all the manuals with the warnings of the drawbacks.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a link to a cibola being supertuned.
Hope it helps.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching the video, I think my Cortes is already super tuned :headbang:....I get that depth normally. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread