Question

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
OK I am still upset about the CZ problem but meanwhile.... does anyone that has a Garrett have any ideas about using a Garrett in wet sand at the beach. The settings? You are "supposed" to be able to use it in the water as long as you just put the coil in and do NOT get the control box wet. I won't put it actually IN the water but wanted to just hunt the wet sand. I have a Garrett GTI 1500 and I've tried to hunt that area but my machine just goes nuts and beeps all the time anytime I get even near any wet sand. I have used the salt eliminator but it still beeps all the time. The dry sand hunting is ok and I am not knocking that but it is hard to walk in the dry sand (for me) for any length of time. Besides it would get me closer to the water! LOL

I know a couple of guys that use an ACE 250 at the beach. Come on guys - any tips? Settings? - hints?

Where are you Crackbadger? Help!

Upvote 0

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Hi Mumszie, I have an Ace 250 and you cannot even get it close to the salt water/wet sand, it goes NUTS!!!

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I have a Garrett Master Hunter and experience the same results as Finderzzs. I think the waterproof coil might be good for fresh water only. Salt water drives it nuts. Not to mention the "worry factor" of exposing a non-waterproof box to salt water.

Chip V.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Hi Mum. Yes the salt water causes problems for the Garrett land machines..UNLIKE fresh water that causes few problems................ In Salt water, my 550 does well in wet sand....
my 250 does Very well, just turn the sens down. I do not use either out in the water. Hope this helps. HH Gayle

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I am not going to go IN the water with this one but just want to hunt the wet sand so these tips should help. I'll let you know when I'm able to get out there. Probably won't be until Sat or Sun. Thanks for the help - ALL of you! I sure appreciate it.

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I can't give any real world advise on the GTI 1500 but I used to use a vlf machine at the beach both wet sand and in the water. It was a garrett sea hunter. It was the original sea hunter not the PI machine. Once you get the machine onto the wet sand and set up and stable don't go toward the water or the dry. It will only be stable in that small wet sand area. Also a very flat, even swing will be needed to prevent falseing. I expect you will have to reduce the sensitivity a lot just to get it to work. This is a "get by" til your other machine is fixed so its worth wasting some time on. It will be like when you start out with a new machine carry some change in your pockets so you can test it out. I know it is workable but will not be as much fun as sov gt or even a modern garrett sea hunter mark II or of course the minelab excal. Any of these machines and the whites would be worth the investment in enjoyment and return for time expended. Best to all, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread