bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old are you talking.??

I have a few.. But one of my best finds of items in that genre, is a book called the "Star rare coin encyclopedia" printed in 1934. It was made by the "Numismatic company of Texas" and it has coins and tokens I have never heard of. About half the book is dedicated to US coinage.

Fun type of old read with 1934 prices in there.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I have a few from the 60's, have come with Dad's or Gramp's collection I have bought from those that inherited it and couldn't wait to turn a buck. They are interesting to look at and see what key dates were going for 40 to 50 yrs ago and wonder what what they will be worth when my daughter gets my collection. Kind of the saddest thing we do as yard sale'rs and collectors, pick up what Gram or Grampa saved for sixty yrs from their family that put it out on the yard sale the weekend after they are buried. I always try and keep atleast something for a coin I don't have or upgrade my own collection. I kinda hope those recently departed get a smile from it, that someone does appreciate what was worth saving in their life. Not sure if I am on a soap box or not, but stepping down now if I am.

T.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
The real early "Red" and "Black" ones are worth a ton!! Always on the lookout, but never found any. I too have some from the 60's, but not worth anything much, other then looking at the shockingly cheap coin prices in them.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was late in the day one saturday when I went to a yard sale out in the country, was looking around, everything was picked over and I was looking through the books on a table when I spotted a Red book, 1947, I asked the lady how much?she said all books are 5 cents, so I gave her a quarter.While driving down the driveway I noticed where there was a previous home site,I asked her about it and she said yes that was her grandfathers house there so I told her my hobby is metal detecting and asked if I could detect the area, she said sure. The following weekend I did and found a 1894 barber quarter, needless to say I was stoked,(a decent find here on the west coast).The Red book ended up being a first edition, second printing, There is some writing in the book( check marks next to dates on the quarters and dimes). It ended up being a good day! Good luck and Happy hunting..........Scott

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made me go look. The oldest I have are from the 60's, blue and red books. I'm always looking for any type of specific reference books from coins and tokens to buttons and bullets and every other collectible under the sun. Contrary to popular opinion, everything cannot be found on the internet and books will always be a valuable source of information..

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Rodbuster209 said:
It was late in the day one saturday when I went to a yard sale out in the country, was looking around, everything was picked over and I was looking through the books on a table when I spotted a Red book, 1947, I asked the lady how much?she said all books are 5 cents, so I gave her a quarter.While driving down the driveway I noticed where there was a previous home site,I asked her about it and she said yes that was her grandfathers house there so I told her my hobby is metal detecting and asked if I could detect the area, she said sure. The following weekend I did and found a 1894 barber quarter, needless to say I was stoked,(a decent find here on the west coast).The Red book ended up being a first edition, second printing, There is some writing in the book( check marks next to dates on the quarters and dimes). It ended up being a good day! Good luck and Happy hunting..........Scott
1947 RB is worth a good chunk of change!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread