Question...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors don't know metals from one another other than ferric vs. non-ferric. They just go by conductivity and eddy currents generated by the coil field and compare returns to preprogrammed parameters. A pre-1982 cent is pretty close to a clad dime in conductivity.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors don't know metals from one another other than ferric vs. non-ferric. They just go by conductivity and eddy currents generated by the coil field and compare returns to preprogrammed parameters. A pre-1982 cent is pretty close to a clad dime in conductivity.

Umm, I understood about half of that which tells me what a beginner I am. Guess I better do some more homework. Thank you so much. And thanks for your patience.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add to that some oxidation or corrosion to create a halo effect around the target, and you can get all sorts of readings. I just dug a Zincoln that read the same as a nickel/tab/gold ring! Got it out of the ground and it was totally encrusted. If I run it through the tumbler it will probably disappear into a pile of sand!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Charlie is right: pennies (the pre-zinc ones anyhow) read very close to dime. If you have a super refined TID scale, like some machines have, you can see a slight difference in the way they read. But it's very hard to get that difference in the ground. So you can't really cherry-pick clad dimes vs clad pennies.

Sometimes wheat pennies that have been buried a long time, skew a bit lower than clad dimes on the TID though.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie is right: pennies (the pre-zinc ones anyhow) read very close to dime. If you have a super refined TID scale, like some machines have, you can see a slight difference in the way they read. But it's very hard to get that difference in the ground. So you can't really cherry-pick clad dimes vs clad pennies.

Sometimes wheat pennies that have been buried a long time, skew a bit lower than clad dimes on the TID though.

Thanks for that info !

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On several of my detectors the indication for a dime shows dime/penny (copper). zinc pennies show just under that. As far as the detector circuits go, the two coins are so close they can't readily separate one from the other.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread