question

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I went out side my door with detector & found 2 pennies within 10 min.- one is either a 1995 or a 1905- can't read 3rd no. very well- very corroded- but probably just a 95... The other was 2003 & about 5 ft away.. Decided I better not dig in gravel driveway cause both were kinda big holes by the time I was done... Went down to front in the wooded area. Finally got a beep- thought I had the right spot & started digging. The target seems like its kinda moving around. I know I just can't zone in on it good yet. It showed up clearly on coins & jewelry modes- doesnt' show up on all-metal. Is there an explanation for that? It also shows 50 cents & sometimes dime.. Isn't jumping around erratically thought. The depth seems to change, too... 2,4,6"...inside the bottom of hole. Now I can't get beep at all unless I put it on pinpoint. Then it seems very strong. The hole is now about a foot wide & 6-8 " deep- still shows 6"- very strong on pinpoint. I am getting closer & closer to under the tree-started a couple feet away. It's so windy here- got cold - decided to come in & ask what you all think...I know the neighbors think I'm crazy.. I'm gonna try it again in a lil bit unless you guys think there's nothing there...why do I have to put it on pinpoint to find it now? Seems big item with pinpoint on... I scan dug dirt under it so I don't toss aside coin or something tho...

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Sometimes you will get a hot rock or ground mineralization in the soil that will give a false reading (usually hits in the 50 cent - dollar range). Then when you start digging, the signal will not be there anymore because you disturbed the gound and eliminated the false signal.

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Thanks for answering so quick- I'm gonna bundle up & go bk out there... Will try for signal once more & then move on to another spot. I was thinking it was something like that... I must admit I was already having visions of gold buried under that thare tree!!!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I cannot help with the machine your using... but I can help with the penny question.

You can tell easily what the date is on yours... it's probebly not a 1909. See the pictures below, and check out the website, it should help you a ton with identification.

http://coins.ha.com/info/typevalues.asp

Attachments

• cents.JPG
    cents.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 197

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Montana Jim said:
I cannot help with the machine your using... but I can help with the penny question.

You can tell easily what the date is on yours... it's probebly not a 1909. See the pictures below, and check out the website, it should help you a ton with identification.

http://coins.ha.com/info/typevalues.asp

I have 2 1909 wheat pennies from my youth. They do exist.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Jeff G said:
I have 2 1909 wheat pennies from my youth.  They do exist.

I stand corrected...

Jeff G... YES!!!!  I'm sorry, I didn't focus on the other dates!  YOU ARE CORRECT!  See the wheaties on the page I posted, I was not thorough enough in my response!  So if her's is a wheatie... then she knows it's 1909...

Also!  it looks like 1909 S dates are rare!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
From what I'm reading, she couldn't tell if it was 1905 or 95, the former an Indian head and the latter, well, garbage. It's a 95.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Don't know the ACE 250, but if your penny is an Indian cent, it could be an 1895 (they were minted from 1859-1909).

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be willing to bet it's 1995, especially if you say it's corroded..most modern cents don't hold up to the elements well!

About the jumping around beeps, you're either hitting lots of trash or there's so huge piece of metal there..hopefully it's not one of those metal bands that's sometimes put around a tree when it's planted..if your hole is a foot wide that seems a little much, but I guess you never know..detectors don't lie so there's got to be something there, junk or not.

Good luck

Nat

MJ, I think you meant 1959-present..1958 cents were wheats.

OP
OP
fantum

fantum

Feb 23, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
ace 250
The penny isn't a wheatback- I can see part of the columns. I'm sure now that its just a junk penny. The excitement of the possibity of it being a "treasure" though got me excited for future possibities... Thanks you guys- you have been very helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread