Question

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's for fun and something to do with my boys I want to pan and maybe build a sluice box to prospect this summer in NW ohio. I know there won't be much gold but it's something I would like to do or try. I was wondering if there is a website I could go to to maybe watch videos or how too's. Sry if this is wrong place to post this question but just want some info. I do a lot of metal detecting but I think the boys would have a lot more fun with this project. Thank you and good luck to everyone.

P.S. It would be a lot better than my 14 year old playing video games while he is here with me in summer. I am remarried and have two more kids with second wife and thought this would be fun for the kids. Lol there's my life story.

Upvote 0

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I think making your own sluice is half the fun of sluicing. I made my first sluice out of wood and used it for two years before I wore her out. I just went to home depot, and for under 30 bucks I made a very useful sluice. You will need

Sand paper 100 grit.
Three peices of wood.
,(2X walls of sluice) four inches height by twenty inches long,1\2 thick or more if you want.
(1 floor of sluice) eight inches height by twenty inches long, 1\2 thick or more...
Clear caulk or gorilla glue
Screws and washers that fit for this ( you be the judge on this).
Black plasic mat with line grooves.
One bathroom drawer handle of your preference.
One can pint of Man of war marine clear laquor. (Spelling, sorry)

First sand and laquor the 3 peices of wood really heavily, let dry, and repeat 2 more times.
Simply glue and screw the three pieces of wood in the form of a sluice box. Let dry. I use a popscicle stick and gorrilla glue and seam the corners of the walls to the floor of the sluice. Absolutely no bubbles in the seams.

Cut the black mat to measured floor of the sluice.

Paint the smooth side of the black mat with gorilla glue or caulk and set into the floor of sluice. Let her dry.

Lastly screw mount the bathroom drawer handle to the out side of the sluice in the center... make sure the scerws dont cut through the wood to the other side.

Viola you have a sluice worthy of gettin gold. You can get creative and add a flare or a grated screen to her too. But she is ready.

You will need a weight rock to sit on top to situate the sluice in the river so she doesnt boat on ya though. Lol.
I know she will be fun to make because , it was fun when I made mine.

Hope this helps... I would love to see pictures if you decide to construct one .:happysmiley:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i recomend building your own,i build all my own equipment,at first it was out of necessity ,cost and all, then i found i love building my own stuff ,and havent stopped. and getting out there with your kids is fantastic. best of luck to you man!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. That is what I love about tnet. Someone is always willing to help out. I wish you all the luck I can.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to youtube and enter "homemade sluice" and "gold prospecting" and "gold panning"

Plenty of good videos to view.
Then come back here and get all your questions answered.

I see you are in Ohio ....Glacial gold country. :icon_thumright:
Only prospecting clubs that I know of in Ohio are either in central Ohio or south central Ohio but would be well worth the drive to attend a club outing with the boys sometime. Check out the Buckeye prospectors. http://www.buckeyegold.com/

Go for the Gold,
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
My kids go with me many times to prospect. They loose interest quickly and start exploring. Yesterday they found a small slue that was frozen solid and they spent the rest of the day busting there rears sliding around. No helmet required. My point is have fun outside with them and they will never forget it, and chances are they will do the same with there kids.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kids go with me many times to prospect. They loose interest quickly and start exploring. Yesterday they found a small slue that was frozen solid and they spent the rest of the day busting there rears sliding around. No helmet required. My point is have fun outside with them and they will never forget it, and chances are they will do the same with there kids.
i agree I love being outside and so far my youngest boy does too but my 14 year old lives in Virginia and only here every now and then and he loves his video games.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kids used to go trapping with me in Minnesota when they were 4 & 6. I would give them each a muskrat each time they went with me. Rats sold for about $3 then. It built a very strong bond between us. Now we mine and rockhound together as much as possible and so do the grandkids (5). They can try to take away our rights and freedom but they can never take our memories. Good Luck and have a blast with your kids. They are priceless and so are the memories. Oh yeah and like GG said Youtube. Great videos. Also look on line at prospectorchannal.com.

BH Prospector

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kids used to go trapping with me in Minnesota when they were 4 & 6. I would give them each a muskrat each time they went with me. Rats sold for about $3 then. It built a very strong bond between us. Now we mine and rockhound together as much as possible and so do the grandkids (5). They can try to take away our rights and freedom but they can never take our memories. Good Luck and have a blast with your kids. They are priceless and so are the memories. Oh yeah and like GG said Youtube. Great videos. Also look on line at prospectorchannal.com. BH Prospector
thanks for the link I'm going to search that. I'm getting excited now. I see a weekend sluice building project for this weekend with my youngest boy and maybe even my baby girl. Wish my oldest was here but won't be long and he will come for a visit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread