QUESTION!

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all. I posted these two awesome smoky quartz specimens a while back. One thing I did not mention in my previous post is that the cluster of big points fits perfectly on the back of the plate (first picture). I've never heard of or seen any kind of smoky quartz plate formation that is double sided. Has anyone ever seen anything like it before or maybe know something about a double sided plate?? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you watch the show on the Weather Channel called the Prospectors. On that show is a family that mines for smokey quartz and amazonite pulled out a smokey specimen about the size of yours and they were dancing. Also talked about big bucks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thehunter123

thehunter123

Feb 8, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! That was a pretty good episode last week. Too bad this is the last season...

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all. I posted these two awesome smoky quartz specimens a while back. One thing I did not mention in my previous post is that the cluster of big points fits perfectly on the back of the plate (first picture). I've never heard of or seen any kind of smoky quartz plate formation that is double sided. Has anyone ever seen anything like it before or maybe know something about a double sided plate?? Thanks!
Yes! I have seen what you would call a doublesided plate. If I could retrieve it, I know where there is a "plate" of crystals that looks like a rectanglar block about 2 feet long by 1 foot across by 5-6 inches thick, completely covered in points, all the way around it. It is about a 16 mile hike in here in the Rockies on the Montana/Idaho border. VERY rough country! If I could remove it and carry it, It would be in my home! You have to think, the crystals formed in a "pocket" or void, much like a huge "bubble" in the rock when it was molten. As it cooled, water got in and formed the crystals. The bubbles can really be almost any shape, and size you could think of. They can even have formed in "cracks" in the stone as it cooled. It's not too far fetched to think two vugs (or voids) could have formed really close together like two "bubbles" right next to each other, which could be one explanation for why your "plate" would have crystals on the front and back so to speak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a drawing of what I mean, sorry it is so crude...

Attachments

• 1451941234837.jpg
    1451941234837.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! I have seen what you would call a doublesided plate. If I could retrieve it, I know where there is a "plate" of crystals that looks like a rectanglar block about 2 feet long by 1 foot across by 5-6 inches thick, completely covered in points, all the way around it. It is about a 16 mile hike in here in the Rockies on the Montana/Idaho border. VERY rough country! If I could remove it and carry it, It would be in my home! You have to think, the crystals formed in a "pocket" or void, much like a huge "bubble" in the rock when it was molten. As it cooled, water got in and formed the crystals. The bubbles can really be almost any shape, and size you could think of. They can even have formed in "cracks" in the stone as it cooled. It's not too far fetched to think two vugs (or voids) could have formed really close together like two "bubbles" right next to each other, which could be one explanation for why your "plate" would have crystals on the front and back so to speak.

There is good value in the crystals that you describe and would look better in your home than the ground. LOL That said, since it is a long rough hump to get them out, consider getting a "one wheel deer cart" (Google that for a picture). I have carried big deer out of the hills for long distances with one.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is good value in the crystals that you describe and would look better in your home than the ground. LOL That said, since it is a long rough hump to get them out, consider getting a "one wheel deer cart" (Google that for a picture). I have carried big deer out of the hills for long distances with one.
A cart would be out of the question. It takes a very rough hike through thick pine trees for many miles, then up the base of a mountain across boulders from basketball size all the way up to the size of a house, then some talas slopes. If you have seen Prospectors on the Weather channel, think Mt. Antero, except there is no road. At all. All cross country. I can hike it, but, I'm 40 something now, and I'm not so sure about backpacking it out, pretty sure it would weigh ALOT. Now, if some one would lend me their helicopter.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread