Question

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Somebody with alot of detecting experience tell me: Does a wheat penny "register" differently than a memorial? I know that pre 1982 are different than a zink post 82. I ask because I have found numerous pre 1982 cents but never a wheat. Guess there just arent any where Im looking......Happy Thanksgiving! Shane in Baton Rouge.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Wheats are Lower then
Late Wheats & Copper Memorials
which are Higher then Zinc Memorials.
Early Indians are Close to Zink & Late Indians Close to Early Wheats.

On my Sovereign (I set my meter at 555 on a Quarter)

HIGH
---------
copper Memorials 555
Late Wheats 550 - 555
Early Wheats 540 - 550
Late Indians 530 - 540
Early Indians / Zinc 530 - 533

LOW​

NICKELS

New 444
Buffalos 434 - 440
V (Liberties) 424 - 434​

All Silver 550 to 555 depending on Size Age Depth Ground​

But there are Exceptions in All Cases
Moisture in the Air Effects my Meter

Dig Everything

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim I'm using a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. I was using a lone star...pretty much the same results. I have found quarters and dimes. I pretty much ignore nickels. But man this thing sure can see cents!!! I collect coins, have for quite some time now so I am hopeing for my first "found" wheat!! Thanks for any help, Shane

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
shanegalang said:
Jim I'm using a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. I was using a lone star...pretty much the same results. I have found quarters and dimes. I pretty much ignore nickels. But man this thing sure can see cents!!! I collect coins, have for quite some time now so I am hopeing for my first "found" wheat!! Thanks for any help, Shane

I also have a 505 - your wheaties will ring in with the pre-82s. That machine will find them if they are there...

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jim.........I figured they were just not there but wanted to make sure. Glad to find someone who is using the same detector. I'll let you know when I luck up........man would really love to find a Morgan Silver! But then who wouldnt. Whats your favorite find? Shane

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
shanegalang said:
Thanks Jim.........I figured they were just not there but wanted to make sure. Glad to find someone who is using the same detector. I'll let you know when I luck up........man would really love to find a Morgan Silver! But then who wouldnt. Whats your favorite find? Shane

First of all... I shoulda have welcomed you to TreasureNet... so welcome!

My reply to your favorite find question may not very exciting... I am not a coin hunter, I'm a relic hunter. I have found silver coins and jewelry, and gold jewelry... but my very favorite "find" is a brass men's weeding band that belonged to a late 1800s Buffallo Soldier (...or one of the white officers assigned) out here in Montana at one of my hunting spots.

My favorite thing TO find are US Army "Eagle Buttons" of which I have more than 60... I think buttons are as cool as coins...

Oldest coin is an awesome 1877 seated dime. My partner pulled an 1868 V Nickle. Thats old stuff for out here on the plains of Montana.

Don't get discouraged by all the "negative press" you'll read about the Bounty Hunter machines here... you own a good one that'll find ya' whats buried there. If you get discouraged look back through some of my old posts in "Today's Finds" and see what kind of stuff I dig every time I'm out. It's not a "top-o-the-line" outfit but it'll keep you more than entertained for the money...

Good luck and happy hunting!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
shanegalang said:
So, you ignore a buffalo and "V" nickels but want to dig wheat-back pennies? I would take the nickels too. I dig them all the time.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcome Jim. This morning I returned to the state fair grounds that I have been hunting. Noticed that sence we had rain yesterday I found alot more dimes and quarters. I would like to dig the nickel signals but I havnt quite mastered notching out the pull tabs and the area (state fair grounds) is just full of pull tabs. I will return to the area again and dig everything. Its a really big place, off the main highway and no one to bother me. I have read some of the things about BHs but I dont let those discourage me. I am having a great time with my 505, finding plenty to keep me happy. If I want to I can buy a much more expensive MD but this one is doing just fine. I have so many potential places to hunt......so little time which seems to be the usual case. Oh by the way I got my 505 brand new for 100 dollars! Shane

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Shane, I'm glad you like your machine and seems like you are doing just fine. In the future if you invest in a really nice machine you could tell the difference between a nickel and a pull tab every time. I do it all the time. I just can't tell the difference between a nickel and a certain size of aluminum that sounds EXACTLY like a nickel so I dig them also, but there aren't as many of them as there are pull tabs. Welcome aboard and good luck.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Farmercal........I am enjoying this site and the wealth of info.!! Sooner or later I will have something exciting to post........with pix!!! In the mean time I am going to try the 4 inch coil that came with my detector. Wish me luck! Cheers, Shane

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Farmercal said:
Shane, I'm glad you like your machine and seems like you are doing just fine. In the future if you invest in a really nice machine you could tell the difference between a nickel and a pull tab every time. I do it all the time. I just can't tell the difference between a nickel and a certain size of aluminum that sounds EXACTLY like a nickel so I dig them also, but there aren't as many of them as there are pull tabs. Welcome aboard and good luck.

Fair enough... with experience, you'll very quickly know the difference between nickles and pulltabs since the machine you have is already able to do that... just check your display. The nickels on the 505 will ring in true and repeatable everytime... most pulltabs will not. However, experience is key because 90 of trash bounces through these areas on the display - to include GOLD.

Just like with ANY machine that is new... no matter how much you spent... dig it all till you are comfortable with it's abilities.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Farmercal said:

I'd have to disagree with this. Pull tabs come in all different sizes and shapes. Some are bent in half, broken, etc. No machine can tell the difference between nickels and pull tabs everytime. The depth of the targets will make a HUGE difference. If its deep and sounds like a pull tab, dig it. Good chance you will pull a nice V nickel out of the ground. If it is shallow and sounds like a nickel, most of the time I pass on digging.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Illinoisdoug. I am learning more and more about this machine. Sounds like great advice. I got permission from a lady today to hunt all I want on her 11 acres. The town she lives in is very rich in civil war history. I'm officially addicted to MDing now. I'm thinking of getting the BH Platinum thats for sell at Cobelas. I'm sure many will tell me that for 500 plus dollars I could get a minelab or whites or or or or lol but so far I'm happy with the 2 BHs I have used so I'll stick with BHs. Cheers, Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread