Question

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
A few months ago I had found a gold chain at the base of a tree. The dirt showed signs of being burned and the chain had green splotches. I've read that older jewelry can be improperly mixed so the heat and time in the ground would cause the copper to leach out in return causing the green splotches. The latch is plated . The chain itself though is not. I've tested it to make sure. So what can I do to thoroughly remove the green spots?

Attachments

• 20240321_172447.jpg
    20240321_172447.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago I had found a gold chain at the base of a tree. The dirt showed signs of being burned and the chain had green splotches. I've read that older jewelry can be improperly mixed so the heat and time in the ground would cause the copper to leach out in return causing the green splotches. The latch is plated . The chain itself though is not. I've tested it to make sure. So what can I do to thoroughly remove the green spots?
I would try an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner first and then move on to a silver/gold cleaner. I tend to stick to just a silver cleaner as it seems to work best for me and my needs. I like the ultrasonic cleaners they do very well about getting the gunk out of the tiny cracks and crevices of jewelry and the like. There is plenty of information on line, but your local jewelers should have a cleaner and I’m sure they could take care of it for you. A baking soda and salt paste with a toothbrush might help?!? Good luck either way

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might be just a heavy plated chain.
The areas that are showing the funky look isn't gold.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I might be just a heavy plated chain.
The areas that are showing the funky look isn't gold.
Underneath the green stuff is in fact gold. The latch is plated though. It wasn't solid green like the gas station chains. I used a coin scope to check before and after I picked the stuff off. If it were plated then the plating would have to be missing for the gunk to develop but it'd not! However, I cut a link off and ran the acid test on it. It's 18kt. I think either the burnt ground it was in or the poorly mixed alloys allowed those splotches to pop up. It has definitely caused curiosity

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Underneath the green stuff is in fact gold. The latch is plated though. It wasn't solid green like the gas station chains. I used a coin scope to check before and after I picked the stuff off. If it were plated then the plating would have to be missing for the gunk to develop but it'd not! However, I cut a link off and ran the acid test on it. It's 18kt. I think either the burnt ground it was in or the poorly mixed alloys allowed those splotches to pop up. It has definitely caused curiosity
I would like to see a picture of the cut link.
I've never seen 18K to have any type of leaching as what's on this piece.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 6.58.06 AM.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold plated..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread