Questions about gold marks on service pins: "10/10" or "SOLID GOLD" or "GOLD X" or "X GOLD X"

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting a little tin of marked pins with marks I can't figure out. Mostly I have gotten these at garage sales or estate sales. My Googling around always takes me to the same kind of information like, "What does 14K mean?" I can read standard gold marks, but my acid testing skills are very poor and I don't know what these marks mean. I am hoping someone on here has seen these marks before and can give a clue what I have.

Here are the fronts:
IMG_0001_edited-1.jpg

Now the backs (sorry I went from right to left in listing these).
1st Pin: This Goodyear 25 year pin from LGB (Balfour) is marked with what appears to be an "X" is that for "10"? These are usually 10k gold. Not filled.
IMG_0003_edited-1.jpg

2nd pin: IBM Quarter Century. These usually come marked 1/10 10GF. I have seen a couple in 14K. What does 10/10 mean?
IMG_0004_edited-1.jpg

3rd Pin:
Rutgers Short Course 16; Dieges and Clust. Marked "X Gold X". What does that mean?
IMG_0005_edited-1.jpg

4th pin:
ADAA Education Efficiency Loyalty Service
Marked 10K TOP with and S with and arrow through it.
IMG_0007_edited-1.jpg

5th Pin:
ADJS with owl pin 29. Back of ADJS marked Moeller Solid Gold.
IMG_0009_edited-1.jpg

6th pin: Unknown. This is tiny and has no back marks, but I was wondering if anyone recognized the design.
IMG_0010_edited-1.jpg

7th pin; a bar pin marked "Gold Top". Does that mean plate or gold filled? or what?
IMG_0011_edited-1.jpg

Any help appreciated!

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acid testing is the key, and a little practice will give you confidence.
I will say that the 10/10 mark on the IBM pin translates to 1/10-10k Gold Filled. It's not a common mark, but occasionally you'll see 14/10 on a piece, which is 1/10-14k GF.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if "gold top" means that the front is gold but the actual pin part is not...on both the #4 and #7 pictures the pin part looks like base metal.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acid testing is the key, and a little practice will give you confidence.
I will say that the 10/10 mark on the IBM pin translates to 1/10-10k Gold Filled. It's not a common mark, but occasionally you'll see 14/10 on a piece, which is 1/10-14k GF.
Thank makes sense. Thanks for the info. I do okay with 14k acids and up, but everything I test seems to test as 10K.
I wonder if "gold top" means that the front is gold but the actual pin part is not...on both the #4 and #7 pictures the pin part looks like base metal.
The pin part does seem to be base metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread