Questions about the Garret Ace 250

Anthony

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started metal detecting and picked the Garret 250 up yesterday. I know that it isn't the best metal detector on the market but I didn't want to spend too much on this hobby before I even know if I like it. Anyway, I had a few questions about it.

I put a sterling silver ring on the ground and turned the metal detector up to the highest sensitivity. I started swinging the metal detector back and fourth at about 2 feet above it. I slowly started working my way down and not until much less than 8 inches it didn't pick it up. Is this normal?

It was also picking up the silver up as foil or a pull tab. It wasn't until the search coil was less than 3 inches away that it picked it up as a coin/silver. Was really jumping all over the place. Is this also normal? It's going to be a pain in the ass digging every thing that is detected as foil. Is this also normal or is there a way to change this? How do you know what to dig if there are a bunch of false readings?

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Upvote 0

Johnny_T

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2012
Walla Walla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Foil and gold look similar to a detector. You have to find the pull tabs to find the gold. Just the way it is. Practice, practice, practice.

I just got the Ace 350 and was having all kinds of the same issues. But with some practice have been getting the hang of it. You should dig on all targets when first starting out. Every MD'er I know told me the same thing before I got mine. As for ignoring foil hits I was doing that at first also, then the other day I got curious and dug one up. Turned out to be a small gold ring. I do mine in zero mode and then cancel out iron and leave it from foil to silver wide open about 4 notches down from the top on sencitivity.... Have found some Silver Buttons the ring, and of course the usual junk you read about....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. If I were a coin, where would I fall? First it would be a female's pocket.... and I would fall out..... onto the bedsheets! TTC
Hmm, did I post that? Shame!! Nasty, nasty! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread