✅ SOLVED Questions about this Saw Medallion

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may be incorrect to post this here, but even though I know what it is, I still have found little information on it, such as age. I found this saw medallion on an old homesite that dates to the 1800s in western Indiana. The thing that puzzles me is that it has the British Coat of Arms on it. Kind of interesting. It has a lion on the left (representing Britain) and a unicorn on the right (the unicorn supposedly is chained up and represents Scotland). The banner under the main design says "Dieu et mon droit" which means "God and my right" which is the slogan of the British monarchy. I thought all that was interesting and makes me wonder why someone living in Indiana in the 1800s would have a british-made saw and not a more locally made one. Anyone able to provide any insight on this or perhaps give a better idea of what age this would be from? early, mid, or late 1800s?

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_2899.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 35

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a quick Google search and found this thread on an Australian forum. Read the replies, not a lot of info though. One of the commentors says he found a gold one but later retracts. Anyway 1860s or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a quick Google search and found this thread on an Australian forum. Read the replies, not a lot of info though. One of the commentors says he found a gold one but later retracts. Anyway 1860s or so.

I had a chuckle at Ethan's post.
His was solid gold.🤣

Upvote 1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 3

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I got a kick out of that golden saw thing. In a later post he said he was referring to something else.
Nice recovery that's called.🤣
I think they were very kind to him.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
bcbirdman

bcbirdman

Apr 14, 2023
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest: