Questions about VX3 and General Technique

Sl@p_D@sh

Mar 10, 2015
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, everyone - I'm pretty new to the hobby, with only about 30 hours (first post!). I've had some luck so far, but I could use some help on my technique. I've got a Whites VX3 which is a nice machine, and I've been getting familiar through field work, forums, videos, etc. That being said, I've noticed a couple of things.

1) Target Interpretation. I'm having a hard time differentiating targets. I don't mind digging trash as it's part of the hobby, but I'm having a hard time interpreting my readout to tell good from bad. What shows in the manual, forums and videos as an unambiguous good target is often junk, and vice versa. Again, I don't mind, but if the readings are going to be random, I'm kinda left wondering what the point of all the visual bells and whistles are. As an example, I understand a visually "scattered" signal across the frequencies for an iffy target generally indicates trash. I'll sweep from different angles to try and get a "lock", but so far this doesn't seem to improve the situation. The machine has NO problem differentiating in air tests, but the moment it's anything in the ground, all bets seem to be off (I understand halo effect, nearby trash, target angle and so on). Are there any pointers anyone can provide from experience on this, or anywhere you can point to help me improve?

2) Centering/Pinpointing. I'm using the stock Eclipse 9.5 inch. From what I've seen in manuals and videos, using pinpoint mode, I should be able to zero in so my target is directly in the center of the "hole" in my coil. I concentrate a lot on this, but it always seems like the target ends up being off to one side or the other of where the machine is telling me where the strongest signal is, and I end up having to dig into the sides of my plug to get it. This bugs me, as I want to leave as neat and clean a plug as possible wherever I hunt. Am I doing something wrong?
Again, loving the hobby and having some good results and lots of fun, but I want to get better. Anyone with experience on the Whites machines or in general who could give me a few pointers, I'd be deeply appreciative.

Upvote 0

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You just need to practice
I have a V3I telling junk from good target has a lot to do with the sound output from detector.

When pinpointing some time it helps to raise the coil above the target to get a better idea where the center is.

but cans pull tabs and other junk can fool you

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd highly recommend you get a smaller coil - the 5.3 eclipse will give you reasonable depth, easier pinpointing and separate in trashy areas better.
luvsdux

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the XLT, DFX and V3i - they tell you what they can, but "you never know". Crosses are a good example; they can give trashy signals. A ring's signal seems to be related to the narrowest part of the band. There are a ton of little nuances, and they can change from one location to another and with varying conditions. It's usually not too difficult to tell a squished can, iron, underground pipes/cables, etc., but if a target is concentrated its a viable target. Every target I pass up I regret, but there are trade-offs - dig everything on one end of the spectrum to cherry-picking on the other. I usually cherry-pick/recon first then slow down and get to business if it's a new area for me. If there is a pesky trash item, discriminate it if necessary. Get the most with the least effort until it's too much work to make it pay or be enjoyable.

As for pinpointing, I love the TRX. I was a SunRay probe fan for a long time, but can do without the extra weight nowadays.

Last edited:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re-reading this... If a quarter 2 inches down is giving trashy signals, for example, you have a bad machine or coil or it is setup incorrectly. I don't know how many setting the VX3 has, the V3i over 600+, which is why I mention it - easy to make changes with unintended consequences. Maybe do a reset. Do some "buried in the ground" tests - not air tests. Use a plastic bucket or your backyard. It's what I would do - even with a big coil you can zero in if you get the right angle/sweep speed and the target ID should be very easy to identify. Might be your swing speed for the settings you're using. If I get a "coherent" target on the search screen and the 3 frequencies line up, or look interesting, I will grab the profile of the target (trigger forward on V3i), size it with pinpoint, and then decide whether to dig or not (pertains to modern trashy environments like parks/sports fields). If it IS actual trash where you're hunting and not your machine or technique then smaller coil is all you can do, as mentioned.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have not seen anyone mention the hunting mode that the machine is in.

Are you using a 'stock' coins program?

Usually when you learn a new machine, (and you say you are new to the hobby, so this is doubly true) you start off with settings that limit the response so that the machine runs smoothly.

Once you get used to the machine, a user can crank it up a bit more for maximum performance for their conditions.

It sounds to me like the response from a machine that has the sensitivity too high and zero discrimination.

If the machine is not broken, it should be able to be put into 'beginner mode' and have predictable TID in most conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions