Questions for Florida Beach Hunters

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am taking a trip to Florida in October. I will be going to both Daytona Beach and Cocoa Beach. Am I allowed to detect on these beaches? Do I need a permit? And do you think I will find anything in October or will everything be gone by then?

And what are the rules about detecting in the shallow water? I have heard that anything out of the water belongs to the state...is this true?

Upvote 0
C

Charles Miller

Not sure about any regulations on the Gold Coast, but on the Sun Coast I've seen plenty of people hitting the beach with MDs and carrying off their finds, even in coastal state parks with rangers in full view. BTW, Florida beaches are relatively slow in the summer and early fall -- the "season" (tourist season) doesn't begin until late fall and early winter... that's when all the snowbirds come rumbling into Florida by the millions. And, speaking from my own experience, the beach is never "hunted out"... The throngs of tourists replenish the beach with fresh jewelry, watches, clad and much more, every day.

;)

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
I don't know about that, Charles. I think we have three beach seasons here. Spring break, summer vacation and snow bird season. Spring break is mostly tourists, summer break is mostly local school kids with their parents and late fall/winter is mostly snow birds. So, I believe that our beaches are hopping, pretty much all year round, except for maybe January, February, early March and possibly October. Especially busy on weekends and holidays. But it could also depend on which beach you're talking about. I'd imagine that some don't get a whole lot of spring breakers. Daytona and Cocoa Beach do though. October probably isn't the best month though, as it's in between summer vacation and snow bird season. No clue if you're legally allowed to detect on Daytona Beach. I'm thinking that Cocoa Beach is fair game though. Just stick to the public beaches and you should be fine. Condo and hotel beaches might have issues. SS

C

Charles Miller

I was talking about the Sun Coast, the Gulf Coast of Florida, which is not so much a destination for spring break nor for families with kids. It's mostly the rich retirees and snowbirds on the Sun Coast, one nice big season in the winter, then it calms down to relative peace and quiet the rest of the time. All the kids might be raising hell year-round over on the Atlantic Coast, but on the Gulf side you can actually enjoy some quiet days and evenings for much of the spring, summer and fall. Very high cost of living, though.

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Ok, well Iowa Hunter was asking about Daytona and Cocoa Beach, so I misunderstood. I lived in Tampa, for about 6 years, by the way. I went to Clearwater Beach once, during spring break, and there was a fair amount of college kids there. Like I said, it depends on the beach. Pensacola Beach and Fort Walton Beach are packed during spring break and they're on the gulf coast. I would imagine that Naples and Ft. Myers beaches probably aren't that busy though. What area of the Sun Coast did you say you lived in again? SS

C

Charles Miller

I lived for 2 years on Siesta Key, off of Sarasota... Yeah, I hit all the beaches from Bradenton to Siesta to Naples to Venice and Ft. Myers., with only fleeting trips down Alligator Alley to the other coast. LOL

;)

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Iowa Hunter,

I've detected Cocoa and Daytona several times. I live in misery (i mean missouri) and travel to FL a couple of times each year. There are no restrictions that I've seen at those beaches. I've hadn't had any problems. The only beach in FL where I've seen a sign posted "no metal detecting" along with other prohibits was Riviera Beach, just north of palm beach. At least I believe it was Rivera or at least in that vicinity, it was the City Beach.

I like detecting cocoa beach from the pier to the south. the sands south of the pier see alot of action during the day and an hour or so before sunset allows one to detect where the people have been. Last Oct I was detecting in about 4 feet of water at cocoa and a wave hit me, knocked my prescription sunglasses off my face, and dislodged my 2-piece $150 long handle scoop from me! I lost the glasses but recovered my scoop! I recommend eyeglass strap and have scoop tethered to ya!

Daytona is cool. You can drive right down on the beach. The water is shallow for quite a ways out. Daytona Biker week is Oct 19-22.

I've only found post 64 coins no rings, silver, or gold, but it's gotta be there.......

Here's a pic of me at work last Oct, Cocoa Beach................. 8)

Attachments

• at work - cocoa beach 10.05.JPG
    at work - cocoa beach 10.05.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,447

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
A $150 long-handled scoop, huh? Wow. I just bought a $3 hand trowel/shovel today, for the wet sand. That kid in the picture digging in the sand will be me. lol I really don't see the need for an expensive beach scoop for just the wet sand though. Maybe after bending down a thousand times, to dig up pulltabs on my hands and knees, I'll change my mind though. lol

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought my two piece alum long handle scoop several years ago at kellyco. I recall paying around $150 for it, it's the same one Kellyco sells today for $189.95. I would advise one spending $10 or there abouts and making one. A previous poster mentioned about going to a grain/feed store and buying a grain scoop. 48" of steel pipe or EMT could be cut in half and a coupler used to join. Trick would be to secure end of pipe to grain scoop but I'm sure some type of mechanical fastener would do the trick. I have hand scoops but the ease of not having to bend down makes the long handle scoop choice........... 8)

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Yeah Zossimo, that's where I'm headed. 1715 Beach. Shhhhhhhhhh. lol By the way, spring break has migrated further and further north, over the years. Back in the 1970's it was in Fort Lauderdale. In the 80's and early 90's it was in Daytona Beach. Now it's mostly in the panhandle beaches (Pensacola and Fort Walton, I believe) and Cancun, Mexico. Cocoa Beach and Clearwater Beach do get some spring breakers though. Mostly ones that are doing Disney World, Busch Gardens and the other area attractions. I thought bike week at Daytona was in February though, right after the Daytona 500? I think they have more than one Bike Week now though. But I heard that Daytona is trying to get rid of the spring breakers by making stricter laws. SS

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Well, the only beach scoops I found around here were at a dive shop and they cost between $47 and $59 and had pretty short handles (probably for underwater use). So, I checked out Wal Mart and a local tool store and my choices were either: 1. a very heavy 2 1/2 foot garden shovel for $8 2. a cheaply made 4 foot long kids shovel (painted red) or 3. an 18" long garden hand trowel. Not sure what the difference is between a trowel and a shovel, but it's sharp, lightweight and has a nice comfortable rubber grip on it and was only $3, so I bought that. What it lacks in length, it makes up for in weight (very lightweight and compact, so I can hang it from my belly pack and it won't get in my way or weigh me down), sharpness (so I should be able to dig up stuff in the wet sand quicker than I could with a beach scoop), comfort (nice ergonomic rubber grip, instead of just a pole or a shovel handle) and affordability (only $3). Can't go wrong there. If it ends up being too much work and I can eventually find something better, I only lost $3. SS

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Striker said:
A $150 long-handled scoop, huh? Wow. I just bought a $3 hand trowel/shovel today, for the wet sand. That kid in the picture digging in the sand will be me. lol I really don't see the need for an expensive beach scoop for just the wet sand though. Maybe after bending down a thousand times, to dig up pulltabs on my hands and knees, I'll change my mind though. lol

yup, I bet you will! I did! And kellyco has a decent one for 55.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread