Quick hunt after work

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I came back from my vacation to a pretty hectic day of work and needed to get out for an hour or so. On my way to the wooded area I was heading to, the sky looked a bit ominous, but fortunately for me, it stayed bone dry the entire hunt (though as I left, a block away, the ground was soaked, as if it had rained there but not over me!)

Well, no luck in the woods. This area is near the camp but not the actual camp. The woods were pretty soggy, and I was picking up all kinds of iron, and it got annoying! I found a few lead bullets, pull tabs, and one of those ID braclets, much like the one Kermit found, except mine is aluminum, and not personalized (how boring.)

I was on my way to the car and decided to hit the grassy picnic grove between the woods and lot (Kermit, we hit this field once before). TONS of trash, but I did get a 1907 V nickel at 7 inches and a 1917-D wheat at 5 inches. I had to basically dig any deep signal that wasn't iron. Soon I was in the company of five tame deer, but no more oldies were to be found (did find a few early memorials.)

It was good to get out, maybe next time I can get a silver Roosevelt. Eh, who am I kidding? lol...take care all.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 195

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
I came back from my vacation to a pretty hectic day of work and needed to get out for an hour or so. On my way to the wooded area I was heading to, the sky looked a bit ominous, but fortunately for me, it stayed bone dry the entire hunt (though as I left, a block away, the ground was soaked, as if it had rained there but not over me!)

Well, no luck in the woods. This area is near the camp but not the actual camp. The woods were pretty soggy, and I was picking up all kinds of iron, and it got annoying! I found a few lead bullets, pull tabs, and one of those ID braclets, much like the one Kermit found, except mine is aluminum, and not personalized (how boring.)

I was on my way to the car and decided to hit the grassy picnic grove between the woods and lot (Kermit, we hit this field once before). TONS of trash, but I did get a 1907 V nickel at 7 inches and a 1917-D wheat at 5 inches. I had to basically dig any deep signal that wasn't iron. Soon I was in the company of five tame deer, but no more oldies were to be found (did find a few early memorials.)

It was good to get out, maybe next time I can get a silver Roosevelt. Eh, who am I kidding? lol...take care all.

Joe
Hey Twisted...........Congrats on the 17d,and 07 I.H.....................................Keep trying to dig those 3-4" dime signals.......Boring as it might sound........I have found Many Mercs 3-4" deep........................A N D..............don't forget that Brets dad dug a S E A T E D Dime at 1"......(Probably a drop from a Peoria hunter) but it was still a seated..............and I was hunting with them...........and had went over the very same area with-in a week before............
..........................Rosies ARE hard to find tho..............most were dug in the 60's-80's I think.,...........................but wouldn't you rather have a merc or barber ????????
Dig Shallow..................Dig DEEP..........................D I G O F T E N !!!!!!!!!!!
Best of luck TWISTED..........................and H.H.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back! I see you haven't lost your touch with those V-Nick's. . . nice!
Now, how bout dem Rosies ::)

Take care,
Mark

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
heheheh, he said v-nick. He's gonna score with a v-nick.... heheheh he said score

How was the weekender?

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Hey Joe, I'll trade ya a Rosie for a V nick anyday. You're da Nickel King man!

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I didn't know I had a knack for the V-nicks, though...this is only my third one dug, I was pretty excited when i saw it was a V instead of a buffalo. I love finding buffs, but I've gotten a lot of those. I'm working on a shield now...we'll see.

Lowbatts, the weekender was great. I had a great time, thanks for asking. I saw lots of areas that make me want to return there with a busload of you guys some day. Tons of old farmhouses, sprawling lawns, old decrepit farms adjacent to corn and soybean fields...ahh, some day. lol, I did have a great time eating a lot of good food and doing a lot of sightseeing.

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great weekend.
From the link you posted before , it looks like very cool place.
Glad you had a great weekend
Nice " V"
Shields are hard to come by.
I found one in Norwood Park at a house. I didn't know what it was at first and then WaterColor tells me I just found a Shield Nickel

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job bud!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to go Joe!
I had a feeling you'd get out somewhere, anywhere...
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread