Quick hunt before the rain

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
So yesterday I spent the first part of the day with my wife and son. We did the usual weekend routine of morning play with my son, then some shopping and lunch. We got back to the house earlier than expected around 12:30 and they wanted to take a nap. I knew they were calling for rain in the afternoon but I had to get out and dig for a little so I took the gamble and headed to a spot that has produced several pre 1860 coins and buttons and a new place that housed a 1700's tavern. Hoping the fields were clear I took the 30 minute drive and when I arrived I saw the beautiful sandy soil I was hoping for. At about 1:15 I jumped out and went to detecting, made a few passes only digging a few pieces of melted lead and the occasional piece of aluminum. Then just as I was about to head to the truck to go to the tavern sight "BAM" I get a killer signal that was pretty shallow only about 3-4 inches. I took a scoop of the dirt out expecting to see a flat button, when I saw a small silver disk break out of the sand. Last year a buddy of mine found a 1837 not 15 feet from where I was but now it was my turn. My first cap bust coin and first half dime. Shortly after I found this the skys let loose and its been raining ever since. Thankfully it held off just long enough to pocket this gem! :headbang:

Attachments

• Half Dime Back.jpg
    Half Dime Back.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Half Dime.jpg
    Half Dime.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 5

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hold moly... that is one sweet find. Congrats on a really enviable find.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Only been at this diggin thing for a short while. Can't wait to find my first silver coin.

That's a beauty for sure. Congrats!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Striking eye candy ! Early US silver means go back and dig everything that makes a peep ........... :occasion14:

dawg

OP
OP
stillrollin300

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
dawg, I'm slowly working this area. Little bit of trash but I know its hiding my gold coin too. I should be able to get back in there a few more times before the wheat gets to high.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that old silver half. :occasion14: That is one of those coins I dream of finding someday.

Bluedogcards

Jan 12, 2013
El Reno Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real nice sounds like you got a great spot to hunt, want to share location lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread