Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I was able to squeeze in a quick (1 hour) hunt this morning before work, at a local park that has a ball field that you can see on our 1931 aerial photography, so I was hoping for some older coins. I used the Equinox 800 for this hunt.

I did end up with one silver dime - a 1964-D Roosevelt (barely made it into the silver timeframe!). I looked up mintage on that coin: can you believe that there were 1.4Billion (with a "B") minted?

Additionally there's about $2.70 in clad and two wheat pennies (both in the '50's). The three coins in the middle of the picture were stuck together in a clump, which is why there's still some silvery clad on them (quarter and dime are 1987, nickel 1984). I'm not seeing the older coins I expected, but I did only detect one up-and-back pass that was like 200' total. It's actually an impressive number of coins from that small of an area, and tells me that no one has detected there (amazingly).

But the most amazing result from today: I only dug two (2) pieces of trash the whole time. That Equinox is absolutely amazing at telling a user what the target is, using a combination of sound, VDI, pinpoint and depth. The beaver tail fooled me because I thought it was a nickel (the tail itself rings up a 12, while a whole pull tab rings up more like 15). The bottle cap was deep and sounded like a quarter.
Note: I was not digging mid-tones (15-19), and I know I may have missed a ring - but I was just going for coins this morning with limited time.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

- Brian

u05zBeW.jpg

Upvote 12

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice productive hunt, you’ll need to spend some more time there for sure

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you hit your coin targets at 90 degrees and then only dig those that ring up the same VDI? Just curious, I’m pretty new to the Nox and that’s my technique...starting to wonder if I’m doing it right since I don’t get much trash either if I’m looking for coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you hit your coin targets at 90 degrees and then only dig those that ring up the same VDI? Just curious, I’m pretty new to the Nox and that’s my technique...starting to wonder if I’m doing it right since I don’t get much trash either if I’m looking for coins.

Yes, on most targets I quickly cross-reference from a different angle to be sure it’s a coin. I also use pinpoint on some (25%) that are jumpy to try to “see” the size of the target; a coin will “look” small under the spotlight of pinpointing.
The silver dime was jumpy; it may have been mixed in with iron/trash though (I forget what else was in the hole). All I remember was that I was surprised it was silver.

In general this park was so clean that I didn’t have a lot of “questionable” targets.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully you can get back there soon. There’s got to be more silver. Congratulations on what you did dig up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread