Quick hunt yields a Rev War era Cartridge box sling buckle

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been able to get out much as of late. Between the fields being planted and my work and home schedule getting a bit crazy I have only been able to sneak out twice for about an hour or so each the last two days.

At the same time, this little spot is producing nicely. I managed 6 buttons in total, including one that you don't see dug too often. I have dug vented buttons before, but never have I dug a 25mm vented button. This one is in good shape (minus a little spot on the edge).

I also managed another piece to an early buckle along with a shoe buckle portion. Yesterday I located a pit (it did not turn out to be much) but it did yield a grubbing hoe and underneath it a Rev War era cartridge box sling buckle (D style). While these are not considered "military issued" Don Troiani has listed it in his latest reference book as such. Also many rev war collectors consider these the same as well. This is sort of like the "wishbone" style CS buckle for those CW collectors - not military manufactured, but widely used and specific for that cause. Most likely this is from a militia man and used for that purpose as well as own personal use - either way it is the best colonial buckle I dug this year (And I dug my fair share!)

This site has produced several .70 balls and signs of ball casting (as evident by the little pistol ball I dug along with it from the pit). This site was along a route used frequently during the Rev War and just a mile or so from a known camp.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    803 KB · Views: 138
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 5a.JPG
    5a.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 6a.JPG
    6a.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 7a.JPG
    7a.JPG
    387.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 8a.JPG
    8a.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 9a.JPG
    9a.JPG
    483.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 10

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries! I don't think I have seen one of those kinds of buckles before.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! That buckle made me think of one I dug last year -- I didn't want to hijack your thread by posting the photos but I wonder if you could take a look at it and see if you think it is the same era as yours?

The site I found it does date to the Rev War.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/376866-old-sling-buckle.html

Awesome button too! :icon_thumleft:

Tough to tell exactly from your picture (size and thickness and such). That being said, I do not think it is a cinch buckle, it appears too thin and also the flat "D" end looks less like a cinch.

Yours resembles more of a sling buckle than a cinch. Mine is much thinner than yours and also has the correct size and attachment/construction. If yours is entirely beveled or rounded in construction it is more than likely late 1800s horse tack. If it is flat in places it could be earlier.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really nice finds, Dan. Hope you are able to find some more free time so you can get out to swing more often. I enjoy the photos of early finds such as yours and Bill Ds.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice finds, Dan. Hope you are able to find some more free time so you can get out to swing more often. I enjoy the photos of early finds such as yours and Bill Ds.

Thanks man - we certainly enjoy digging them and posting.

Dan

blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice digs!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I couldn't be there to witness you recover that awesome buckle Dan, but I was too busy digging Va buttons .... haha! Kidding aside, I have to agree with you about that being one of the best buckles we've come across this season. Based on where it was found it was bound to have some kind of Rev War tie-in. Hope you can get back in there another time or two before the site becomes off limits.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing better than a "quick hunt" which produces like that. Very nice buckle, Dan!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I couldn't be there to witness you recover that awesome buckle Dan, but I was too busy digging Va buttons .... haha! Kidding aside, I have to agree with you about that being one of the best buckles we've come across this season. Based on where it was found it was bound to have some kind of Rev War tie-in. Hope you can get back in there another time or two before the site becomes off limits.

No worries man - I liked the text/pic battle ha ha was like we were hunting the same site together. Hopefully I can get back in there before I fly out tomorrow.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds Dan, the vented button is nice.
Glad to see you are still out digging.
ZDD

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Really nice find Dan. Hope you squeeze in another hunt or 2. Will miss the posts.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find Dan. Hope you squeeze in another hunt or 2. Will miss the posts.

Hey man - thanks. Don't worry I will still be hunting this summer in and out of the water. With a baby on the way, it will impact the amount, but I hope to get out as much as possible.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Nice finds! Keep them coming

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread