Quick Labor Day hunt

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Stopped by a local spot on the Delaware river by me (Philly) for a half hour, and came out with this nice piece. It does have a little break at the tip, but almost unnoticeable. I think Iā€™ll frame it anyways, despite the break.

Anyone know the type/age?

Hope you all have a nice Labor Day.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011240.266195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011250.332237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536011258.900912.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.Congrats

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ... few more pics of both sides of the base would help ID it but from the shape it looks like a pretty old one prob archaic

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!
Arrow - here are more photos
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014593.288474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014610.757848.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014637.617307.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536014673.432170.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful material. I looks a little too thick for a point, but from what I can tell it looks like a small scraper or knife.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First group of pics it looked like a point with a curved base and some small ears but second group does look thicker hard to say but some sweet jasper whatever it was

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is some nice workmanship on this piece. Itā€™s jasper for sure. This site has some good stuff in it!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First group of pics it looked like a point with a curved base and some small ears but second group does look thicker hard to say but some sweet jasper whatever it was

It has a big chunk at the bottom. In fact, oddly 75% of my finds from this site specifically have that bump. Itā€™s called a stack according to my hunting buddies. I just found it weird that almost all of my finds from here have it, which made me think it was purposely put there perhaps for a finger rest or something.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last photo shows what looks like a stack they couldnt remove and thats probably why its so thick and was used for a cutting tool instead of a point imo. Nice water
stain and polish on that one.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last photo shows what looks like a stack they couldnt remove and thats probably why its so thick and was used for a cutting tool instead of a point imo. Nice water
stain and polish on that one.

Thanks! They must have run in to that issue quite often. Itā€™s on all that Iā€™ve found so far.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! They must have run in to that issue quite often. Itā€™s on all that Iā€™ve found so far.

All finds from the same area? Might be the same person who made them. There are some I find with the thicker end that look like knifes they dont match anything in the guides or books. I take them to the shows and people arent sure what they are and I have seen some that have found them also. Oldtimers call them Nipple Points due to the hump on the end.

Attachments

• SDC10370.JPG
    SDC10370.JPG
    724.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All finds from the same area? Might be the same person who made them. There are some I find with the thicker end that look like knifes they dont match anything in the guides or books. I take them to the shows and people arent sure what they are and I have seen some that have found them also. Oldtimers call them Nipple Points due to the hump on the end.

Iā€™d say 80 percent or more have that lump on it. And it really feels purposely put there. If I found a couple like that, Iā€™d think nothing of it. But I found 14 artifacts from there already and about 10 have it, all of which appear to be knives.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say that is a nice jasper tool of some sort, and has a really cool fresh water patina on it. We find similarly formed pieces down my way, and I am not sure what to make of them? It could be that the material they were using could not have those lumps, bumps or stacks removed, so they just worked around them and ended up with knives, scrapers or piercing tools with thick bases. Or it could be that some were intentionally formed that way, and possibly were used as wedges in splitting wooden shafts etc. ? I supposed that if a wedge tool like that were struck on the thick end with a wooden stick or mallet, that it probably wouldn't leave a visible mark on every piece?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread