Quick Question. Feedback Please!!!

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. My daughter is turning 9 next week and wants a metal detector for her birthday. being new to detecting myself, I'm not sure what to get her. Any suggestions on a quality inexpensive youth model to get? I don't want to drop a bunch of money only to find out that she uses it once or twice and doesn't want to go with me again. Thanks

Upvote 0

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 7 y/o is using my Bounty HunterTracker IV and loves it and is doing well. Just an idea.
They also have a kids model.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It needs to be something that is the right size and not too complicated. Yet, kids grow quick. You don't want tom have to get a new one every six months like a pair of shoes. Are there stores in your area where she can actually hold one?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre. Light, turn on and go, excellent resale value, lifetime warranty, UNDER $200.00

troy1_4

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Compadre for my 10 year old.I love it,small enough for him to use,simple,and works really well.Hard to beat 160.00 shipped with lifetime warranty.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I think he is looking to pay less than $200, especially if his daughter doesn't take to the hobby :tongue3: Then again, if she doesn't like it, he can take ownership :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you get her, help her out a little. Maybe get a small gold ring, or a few silver rings, earring or so, plant them for her to find.
Once she sees what she is capable of finding, she will be hooked for life!
(I sure wish I had started this hobby at 9 or 10 yrs old!)
Oh, and Happy Birthday to her, too!

OP
OP
N

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great suggestions guys. I'm thinking maybe $100 or under. I do plan on planting a few things that she can find to let her get used to it and hopefully keep her in it. She's pretty excited now. She been my "finder" whenever I pull a plug. lol

OP
OP
N

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will either go with the BH Junior or the Wildgame kids model. I almost went with the IV for myself before getting the Discovery 1100. She can't hold mine to good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread