Quick recon results well! 1700s Liberty Cap LC

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as Bill already mentioned, we got out to follow-up on a new site. Unfortunately (as he mentioned) the key area was still basically 90% covered in crops (these pesky beans won't go away!).

To save the duplication, we did manage to finally find a nice feature and it seems to be fairly sizable at that. After researching we figured out why as potentially there might have been multiple (perhaps as many as 4) dwellings in that particular area of the field. I first recovered a button that slowed us down, then broken shoe buckle and then the day went in Bill's favor. I managed a button here and a stud there and finally managed a nice (though well worn and poor shape) 1793-96 Liberty capped large cent. You can make out the features of the bust and hat and that is about it. She was well used but still made the trip worth while for me. I managed 4 buttons (all early to mid 1800s) along with some other odds and ends.

What was also interesting is that my last button came on a different part of the property...perhaps telling of another site still to be explored.

I can't wait to get back!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    505.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 15

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs,congrats on the liberty cap.i would love to find one no matter what shape it's in.It is a shame the ground is so hard on most coppers.i can't hardly pull up a braided hair cent that isn't toasted no less one that old.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old copper recovery!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, just thinking about the other 90% would keep me up nights!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. And great early large cent, no matter the condition.
Cant wait to see what else you guys pull out of there.
Potential, Potential, Potential.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt and post Dan. Also looks like maybe a sterling or coin silver spoon bowl? I also cant wait for you guys to get back there. Really looking forward to what else comes from this field when the beans are cut. 4 dwellings sounds like a village to me. ha

-Brad

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan,
Nice finds. Im not 100% but it looks like your coin could be the 1793 or the 94 with the 93 head.
The only onea with the T over the forlock of the head are them.
Don in NJ will be able to confirm. Take a look and see.
George
So that could be good news or bad news, depending on how you want to take it. Lol

Attachments

• 1449179109373.jpg
    1449179109373.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan,

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't realize you dug a liberty cap - that's awesome! The more we keep looking into this site, the more intriguing its becoming. I think we're in for some nice surprises before all is said and done.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan,
Nice finds. Im not 100% but it looks like your coin could be the 1793 or the 94 with the 93 head.
The only onea with the T over the forlock of the head are them.
Don in NJ will be able to confirm. Take a look and see.
George
So that could be good news or bad news, depending on how you want to take it. Lol

Thanks man. I did not take a close look at it other than knowing it was a Liberty Cap...took a closer look last night and worked on it a bit more...I pulled a "9" off the date and what looks to either be a 3 or 6 (just see the curved bottom) still working.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't realize you dug a liberty cap - that's awesome! The more we keep looking into this site, the more intriguing its becoming. I think we're in for some nice surprises before all is said and done.
Yea man...I thought I texted you that when I began cleaning it. Certainly very worn (a crisp one would be better as we know it would not have been used and carried for many many more years) I still think we will hit a colonial honey hole on that site...if not, things will still be interesting none the less.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow nice Liberty Cap Dan! I must agree with Vino on the placement of the T. Either way, great snag and I can't wait to see what else comes out of that site.

Steve

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on the liberty cap Dan, not an easy one to dig. Can't wait to see what comes out of that field, I'm predicting some CS state buttons.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HGD , THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE A DRAWER PULL ...... BUT YOU GOT SOME NICE ONES IN THAT GROUP.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread