quick start to NOV + OCT Totals

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
First I've reported totals for the year. Since selling silver I've had more cash flow which meant more boxes. Plus I've found a few places with bags. Anyways here is OCT's totals...

18227.50 searched (most searched in over a year)

1500 dimes searched (most since FEB)
first merc found this year (1 total)
10 roosies (most since FEB)

16727.50 halves searched (most since OCT 09)

176 40%s found (most since NOV 09)
37 90%s found (1 Ben, 1 Walker, 4 silver proofs, 31 64s) - most since NOV 09

Notable finds included a solid silver roll and a nearly solid silver roll.

Total ozs = 40.2086 ozs (most since NOV 09)

*Note* greater volume does in fact equal greater amount found

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On to NOV, you no doubtedly saw my last bag find of 40 64s and 128 40s. Yesterday I bought yet another bag and found 30 40%s in there. I'm already sitting at 38.7 ozs in 2 days of the month. The only bad part, and yes there is a bad part, is I was shorted buying the bag which I found 33 ozs and may have been shorted on the bag i bought yesterday. I won't know until today, but I was about $90 short on that first one. I have to visit the place I bought it at.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice October, and great start to November! :icon_thumleft:

I know you already know this, but I thought I'd mention it for others that might be thinking about buying bags: the total will most likely be off one way or the other. I have never bought a bag of any denomination of coin that was 100% accurate. I haven't bought that many, but in my experience EVERY bag of halves I bought was short, but nowhere near $90! That's crazy. That's equivalent to a $45 per box ordering fee. Mine have been short $2 to $8 due mostly to tokens or the like being counted as halves.

Complaining about it to the bank could be a tricky situation. I seem to remember reading about someone quite awhile back that bought a bag that was somewhere around $10-$15 short, but the bag was a monster with several Bens and Walkers and well over 100 keepers. If I remember correctly, he had bought bags there before, and they always produced, but were always a few dollars short. He decided to mention it to the bank, and became irate when the bank refused to reimburse him the $10-$15. The bank finally resolved the problem by refusing to sell bags off the machine as it just wasn't worth the hassle. Its very much easier for the bank to just send the bag to 'the Fed'.

What I'm trying to say is that if someone out there is thinking about buying a bag of halves, expect a "fee" - i.e. the bag will probably be short. Hopefully you find enough silver to make up the difference. In my opinion, you just have to "eat" the small shortages to get the bag.

With that said Phrostie, $90 short is ridiculous! I would have to mention that to the bank even with the risk of losing the privilege of buying bags there. Luckily you scored more than enough silver to make up the difference, but you could have just as easily paid $90 for a bag of dumps. Did you mention it to the bank, and if so what did they do?

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Arkiebass, you bring up a good point that I failed to mention and how I will address this with the bank.

Since it was such a big score I'm not nearly as ticked as I should be. I realize that every bag will be short but have never been shorted this much. So here's what happened...

I paid $984.50 for the bags. One is large and marked 884.50, the other was unmarked but was told it was 100. I also bought 2 boxes, so $1984.50. I like to drop off ~800 at a time in my coin counters. I found roughly $84 in keepers, so I figure I should have $1900. This is verified by looking in my wallet as I had the correct change, so I wasn't shorted money nor did I give extra cash. The short was from the coin to dollar transaction.

From the bag pickup I have ~900 I think, I take $100 out and put into bag B. I fill bag B with $700 in halves from my boxes (I've verified this when counting it into the bag). Bag B was put to the side, so bag 8 should have 800 in it now. I drop bag A first and only receive 717.94. I dropped some loose change in, but was adament that I was shorted at that bank. I begin questioning my calculations and leave the bank. I go to the next bank, drop and get $800. Knowing the transaction at the first bank was bad, I called the bank and the lady stated she would have to take all bags off and rerun them. I said ok, I get a call back that their machine was even.

I need to go where I pick up and question. I'm not going to push it or demand it because of the score, I do not want to create a bank wide policy to stop buying bags because there are several other branches that I have yet to request buying bags. So far, Out of 7 attempts I've bought 4 of the bags, better numbers than anywhere else. That will be my approach, inquisitive but calm. I think I'm going to have them look at their accounting because if it's an even number like that it makes sense that they may have misadded.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing totals phrostie - you must sleep on a mountain of silver!!! :hello2:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
This may or may not help. I have one bank that allows me to buy there bags no matter how much they have in them. The last time I went in they handed me the clear plastic bag and said there was 395$ in the bag. I looked at the bag and I noticed that there was a bunch of quarters, pennies, nickels and dimes in the bag. I told the teller that it looked a little weird and I was wondering if those may have been counted as halves and it made her think about it a second and then she said that she would run them through the counter again to make sure the total was right. After she reran them the total went down to 362$ or something around there. I still ended up getting a little shorted because of a few coins that still made it through and a few foreign coins but I was sure happy that I didn't lose the 30 or so bucks I would have lost. Also I did end up finding a few silver in the bag so it worked out real well.
On a side note though if everyone starts asking for a half bag to be run again for accuracy this may be a seen as a nuisance and you might be told no more bags. In my case it was an obvious concern and the teller was glad to help me and run them again. Not sure how their books are going to look after they did that for me but I guess that's not really my problem and since I only go there maybe twice a year I think I'll be fine.
GL and happy hunting,
Frank

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
good point. Due to the recent shortcoming of the bag total I asked the lady today to recheck the total. She dumped all 500 on the counter. We found a quarter, a token and a foreign coin. Saved me 1.50. Now to make back my money I estimate I need to do the same thing at least

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions