Quick stop produces Civil War Artillery! Plus a little Frenchie!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week took me out of town for work and after spending four days in an area that I've dug before I finally decided to check out a spot on the way home. I did not have a bunch of time but the reward was worth it. Dug a handful of civil war bullets (mostly drops) including a nice french import triangle base minie. I actually have never found one of these and have always wanted one. Not to be out done, at the end of the day I snagged a nice U.S. grooved Hotchkiss. This one should turn out pretty and has a nice stamp on the cup. Certainly a find that made my day. Also managed some other odds and ends including a relgious medallion, suspender clip, grommet, and eagle button (which I somehow lost :BangHead:). One of the interesting finds was the civil war ration can that I recovered. It was in a clay layer and I wish I knew what it was when I pulled out what I swore was going to be a beer can...this thing was intact and now is only moderately intact. Has nice solder seam lines and retained much of the original look.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 25

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The hotchkiss is a stellar find Dan. Congrats on a fine hunt. Wish I could come out and water hunt with you one of these days, looks like a great time and interesting challenge. Good luck with the next hunt, hope you are able to get Bill in to the water :)

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ration can is the best artifact in my opinion, those rusted away into oblivion after just a few years so to find one intact is very cool indeed. The shell is also very cool, and despite my love for the rusty can, the shell is definitely the best thing you dug! :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have the french triangle but not the Hotchkiss lol Nice hunt there dan that shell will clean up nice!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hotchkiss is a stellar find Dan. Congrats on a fine hunt. Wish I could come out and water hunt with you one of these days, looks like a great time and interesting challenge. Good luck with the next hunt, hope you are able to get Bill in to the water :)

Thanks man, I doubt I will get Bill to go...you will feel like a novice again ha ha

The ration can is the best artifact in my opinion, those rusted away into oblivion after just a few years so to find one intact is very cool indeed. The shell is also very cool, and despite my love for the rusty can, the shell is definitely the best thing you dug! :thumbsup:

I actually agree, I just wish I had removed it entirely intact. I've dug a few like this in the water and a few more from huts...had a perfect one at a DIV this past spring and some idiot stepped on it when he walked over to see what I was digging....arghhhh

calmerthanu

Jul 2, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like the French triangles, dang if i didn't get lucky and get into a small dump of them a few years back, dug 24 of them out of a fairly small area. Best streak was 5 in one short hunt at that spot.

100_2650.JPG

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting