quickest way to remove motor from old kenmore dryer

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
A neighbor put an old Kenmore dryer at the curb. The model is 110.87371600. I want to pull out the electric motor. What's the quickest way to do it? I removed the back panel but could not see where the motor is, so I guess I'll have to take it apart some more. What do I need to remove before I can get to the motor? Is it hard to take the motor out? Thanks.

P

pickaway

I love dryers always full of change got one last week had almost 10 bucks in change inside it, id pop the top pull front off cut belt pull tub out and you can get to it that way also,alot of time the motor brackets are cast alumminum, make sure you get the copper wire also.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree,driers have allot of coins in the bottom of them,also the whole drier is scrap,except for any plastic.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
I saw a guy take a motor out of a washing machine with an axe. The only other tool he used was wire cutters for the wires. Took about two minutes. He was one of those "we haul metal junk for free" people.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dingdong said:
slegehammer
NAAA not manly enough. Do it the way they do on Mythbusters. ;D

explode+fun.jpg

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Minelab Xterra 705
Pop the top off the dryer, then use a 1/4 inch nut driver to take out the screws on the inside of the right and left side panels, to remove the front of the dryer. Remove the drum and the motor will be on the bottom of the dryer
Bota bing! There you go! :icon_thumright:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pickaway said:
I love dryers always full of change got one last week had almost 10 bucks in change inside it, id pop the top pull front off cut belt pull tub out and you can get to it that way also,alot of time the motor brackets are cast alumminum, make sure you get the copper wire also.

Dont forget to remove the back cover and chech the lower part of the vent area for small item to include earings , coins, ect My best find was a silver ring and alot of change!!!! Chug

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishtanks said:
Pop the top off the dryer, then use a 1/4 inch nut driver to take out the screws on the inside of the right and left side panels, to remove the front of the dryer. Remove the drum and the motor will be on the bottom of the dryer
Bota bing! There you go! :icon_thumright:
Bingo, this is the same way I do it now. It only takes a few minutes, and makes it a lot easier to find any lost coins and such at the bottom of the dryer. My last dryer I found over 100 coins and a couple of small pieces of gold filled jewelry (stamped 14K RGF), and a lot of the coins were in little nooks and crannies I would not have been able to get to without removing the drum. Also the motor is real easy to get to like that, unscrew a couple of bolts and the motor is out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions