Race To 50 Skunks Is Over - Results

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
After 41 skunks, I found 1 40%. Remaining 9 boxes were also skunks. It is what I expected but I had hope that with silver taking the dive from $50 to the mid 30s some of the people may have backed off in my area. Apparently not. It did confirm I made the right decision to go with dimes and quarters back in February. I was also reminded of how tough dumping those halves can be.

I started ordering dimes and quarters again and will only be doing halves if I can buy them off machines. Boxes are a complete waste of time in my area.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( hope those dimes/quarters treat you better! I see your pain, especially dumping $25,000 in half dollars for only 1 40% half dollar. How are you doing in reguards to dimes/quarters? hh!

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Dimes were going really well until about a month ago. I was averaging 2-3 per box. Once the boxes started showing up with some 2011's in them, the results took a nose dive. I certainly got the occasional skink box but nothing like the past few weeks.

My location is in central Iowa. Must be alot of people hunting around here.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Mental:

I have some info for you that might help you. I'm over in C.R. When dumping my coins, I saw Wells Fargo take out the plastic bag to find it was already addressed to "Wells Fargo - Des Moines"

I'm guessing all coins in Iowa from Wells Fargo get sent back to their Des Moines facility, and get reboxed there, and shipped to where they are needed. If it is like here, all of the smaller banks and credit unions contract with Wells Fargo (like my credit union does) to get rolled coin, espeically there in Des Moines because the cost is probably low because the coin processing facility is there. I'm guessing you're getting all of Iowa's Dumps because of this system, no matter what bank you get your coin from....as long as they get theirs from Wells Fargo.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that BoA in your area uses Wells Fargo as the coin supplier...so you're dipping into the same stash no matter where you go. That's what it is like here in Eastern Iowa...everyone uses Wells Fargo....

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hi all you guys from Iowa!
Was just reading your posts and I sympathize with you out there. I live on the east
coast in a large metropolitan area so it has a large population. BUT....as I always say,
"It's out there for the finding, so keep at it and you will all keep rakin' it in.
Hang in there,
rileyboy

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
If you lived in the middle of corn fields maybe you'd understand how depressing it is. The only thing we can really do here is watch corn grow, or find silver. When there's no silver around...corn is....well....depressing. ;D

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
mdockter said:
If you lived in the middle of corn fields maybe you'd understand how depressing it is. The only thing we can really do here is watch corn grow, or find silver. When there's no silver around...corn is....well....depressing. ;D

I think the silver in half boxes have dried up considerably. I have taken many more road trips and have hit mainly Minnesota, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Since you guys are from Middle to Southern part of Iowa, I'll stay away from those areas.

HH

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:

You don't know how lucky you are. I was born on a farm and moved out at 21 to get married and joined the ARMY. Haven't been back
since (over 37 years). I will trade even up, my house and land here in FL for your farm. Do we have a deal? :headbang:

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
I suppose I'm on track to beat you. Up to my 8th skunk. Unfortunately it takes a while to get anything significant done. I'm limited to 1 box a week, 2 if I feel like driving to a nearby town :<

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:
mdockter said:

You don't know how lucky you are. I was born on a farm and moved out at 21 to get married and joined the ARMY. Haven't been back
since (over 37 years). I will trade even up, my house and land here in FL for your farm. Do we have a deal? :headbang:

I feel your pain. I moved here from Western Wisconsin back in 2004. I miss....cows....good beer...cheese...brats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread