"Radio Hunts Lost Gold of Civil War"

Voice of Reason

Sep 20, 2011
Them Thar Hills
"Radio Hunts Lost Gold of Civil War"

[From archived newspaper article December 9, 1932]

"RADIO HUNTS LOST GOLD OF CIVIL WAR
Modern Invention Seeks To Uncover Fortune

Amsterdam, Mo.- When John Green died 65 years ago he had never heard of a "ground radio," an instrument which lets out a screech when it is carried over land in which there is metal. But one of these ground radios now is being used in an effort to find the thousands of dollars which John Green buried on his Bates county farm when he left this country to escape Price's raiders during the Civil war. Some $30,000 in gold coins and $3,000 in currency is supposed to be buried on his old farm. Dozens of people have searched the farm and now the ground radio is being used.

Had Hard Frontier Life.
Green came to Missouri when a boy, after running away from his Massachusetts home because he didn't want to attend school. Life on the frontier was hard. Three of his children burned to death while he and his wife were working In the woods. Food In the early days was scarce. Before Green's death he was harassed by the pro-slave raiders and Kansas buckwhackers. While he never had personal trouble with either group, he was known as a free-state sympathizer, and finally decided it was wise to move to Kansas. But In spite of troubles, John Green prospered. Before he fled he buried numerous caches of gold and silver. He told no one where the money was hidden, fearing his wife or three daughters might be tortured by robbers If they knew the location.

Death Bed Scene.
Shortly after he moved to Kansas Green contracted smallpox and died. On his death bed he started to tell his wife where his money was hidden. Some of it was buried under a stump, some under a pile of shingles by the old sawmill, a sackful near the foundation of the house, more in a wagon hub near the shed, another cache in a kettle at the foot of a tree. But he died before he told where the big cache was buried. Thousands of dollars was unearthed when the family moved back after the war. But the bulk of the fortune never has been found. The search was renewed by the owners of a ground radio, working in agreement with surviving relatives."

Cool throw back to the early days of "ground radio" treasure hunting.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: "Radio Hunts Lost Gold of Civil War"

I use to live near Amsterdam Missouri growing up in the 50's ( Merwin) was a nice little town. Went to Amsterdam to buy groceries then as Merwin didnt have any grocery stores.and to pick up kids on school bus to go to high school near Amoret. rwd mo

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

voice, enjoyed the tale as i always do when i read such. one question please, can you explain the ground radio? then one more
question. have you seen this in operation? sounds very interesting to me.

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe that the term "ground radio" was in reference to a metal detector........
cool story, lots of buried belongings in the civil war period!

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

gildeal, you may be 100% correct. i had a black friend that i learned a lot about dowsing from and he never failed to ask me
"" did you bring the radio?'' that's all he ever called the detector. i had forgotten about that.
thanks for the reminder.

OP
OP
Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason

Sep 20, 2011
Them Thar Hills

Right on...that's the charm of the article. :thumbsup: It's about the "newfangled" invention we all know as the metal detector.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

an old farmer near chillicothe ohio called mine a gieger counter and wouldnt call it anything else no matter how may times we corrected him.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

Voice of Reason said:
[From archived newspaper article December 9, 1932]

"RADIO HUNTS LOST GOLD OF CIVIL WAR
Modern Invention Seeks To Uncover Fortune

Amsterdam, Mo.- When John Green died 65 years ago he had never heard of a "ground radio," an instrument which lets out a screech when it is carried over land in which there is metal. But one of these ground radios now is being used in an effort to find the thousands of dollars which John Green buried on his Bates county farm when he left this country to escape Price's raiders during the Civil war. Some $30,000 in gold coins and $3,000 in currency is supposed to be buried on his old farm. Dozens of people have searched the farm and now the ground radio is being used.

Had Hard Frontier Life.
Green came to Missouri when a boy, after running away from his Massachusetts home because he didn't want to attend school. Life on the frontier was hard. Three of his children burned to death while he and his wife were working In the woods. Food In the early days was scarce. Before Green's death he was harassed by the pro-slave raiders and Kansas buckwhackers. While he never had personal trouble with either group, he was known as a free-state sympathizer, and finally decided it was wise to move to Kansas. But In spite of troubles, John Green prospered. Before he fled he buried numerous caches of gold and silver. He told no one where the money was hidden, fearing his wife or three daughters might be tortured by robbers If they knew the location.

Death Bed Scene.
Shortly after he moved to Kansas Green contracted smallpox and died. On his death bed he started to tell his wife where his money was hidden. Some of it was buried under a stump, some under a pile of shingles by the old sawmill, a sackful near the foundation of the house, more in a wagon hub near the shed, another cache in a kettle at the foot of a tree. But he died before he told where the big cache was buried. Thousands of dollars was unearthed when the family moved back after the war. But the bulk of the fortune never has been found. The search was renewed by the owners of a ground radio, working in agreement with surviving relatives."

Cool throw back to the early days of "ground radio" treasure hunting.

I live a hour from there, would be fun to go check it out some day.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

10claw said:
one question please, can you explain the ground radio?

There is a way to modify any old small transister radio so that it operates like a metal detector. I do have the "plans" on how to make one (I'll try to find them.) I think you can find examples of the "radio" detector online- there may even be something on you-tube.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003

There are two common types of the old style analog detectors. They work on slightly different principles. The types are single coil (BFO) and dual coil (T/R).

The single coil uses two oscillators. The reference oscillator has a fixed frequency. The other oscillator uses the search coil in the tuning circuit. As the search coil is brought near a metallic object it changes the frequency of the search oscillator. The oscillators are preset for almost the same frequency. The Beat Frequencies create a whistle when heard by a radio receiver. The whistle tone will increase or decrease depending on whether the search oscillator is tuned above or below the reference oscillator. A transistor radio can be used without damaging or altering it. The radio is tuned to a station which is used as the reference oscillator, and a home-made transistor oscillator is tuned to approximately the same frequency to beat with the radio station signal. The search coil is part of the home-made oscillator tuning circuit and will change the pitch of the beat note when brought near a metal object.

The dual coil models Transmit an oscillator signal with one coil. The other coil acts as an antenna. When the search coil is brought near a metal object, the metal couples the Transmit signal back into the Receive loop and the object is detected.

Many variations in design have been made over the years. Digital circuits allow accurate target detection and depth readings. Most of the new detectors use the T/R principle. Operational frequencies, coil size and design, and detection mode selections are features that determine depth and sensitivity. Large coils have greater depth capabilities, but they are less sensitive to small objects. A detector that is best at finding gold nuggets will not work as well for deeper objects as a detector that is built to find gold bars buried at a depth of 3 feet.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010

First thing I'd do to find location of the farm would be to contact the Bates County (Missouri) Historical Society. They might have heard the story.
Keep in mind that during the Unpleasantness Between the States, Bates Co. was part of General Order 7 and those not living within a mile of a town had to leave their places and most burnt to the ground. County records in many County's in Western MO. were taken by different groups for safe keeping and many were lost but.......many survived and with a name and a friendly records clerk you might just find it.
Then you should be able to find the owner and work something out. Good luck.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

uglymailman said:
First thing I'd do to find location of the farm would be to contact the Bates County (Missouri) Historical Society. They might have heard the story.
Keep in mind that during the Unpleasantness Between the States, Bates Co. was part of General Order 7 and those not living within a mile of a town had to leave their places and most burnt to the ground. County records in many County's in Western MO. were taken by different groups for safe keeping and many were lost but.......many survived and with a name and a friendly records clerk you might just find it.
Then you should be able to find the owner and work something out. Good luck.
THANKS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread