RadioShack Score!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RadioShack Score!

I went to a local RadioShack store that was closing for business as of 8:00 pm tonight. As I walked in the store a sales person said “fill a bag for $ 40 dollars”. Now, these bags were huge, other denominations existed $ 20, $ 10…etc. I noticed the contents of those electronic component draws they have in the back of the store and asked about the lot. He said fill the bag! So I filled a $ 40 dollar bag and a $ 10 dollar bag with every component from the draws and anything for designing and building electronic circuits located on the sparse wall shelves. Now the poor salesman had to scan every item into the computer for inventory control, as it turned out I had over 500 items. After all was said and done, I spent $ 50.00 for over $ 2000 dollars worth of electronic merchandise. I will use most of the electronic components with my college students, but I did pick up a few keepers for me.

Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,

Professor

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I forgot to mention one of my favorite items, a Gold Series right angle 1/4" Adapter for my Minelab Explorer SE headphones.

BruceS

Nov 25, 2014
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am never at th right place at the right time..ughhhh

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Poor radio shack has to get rid of all its stuff. Now I'm going to check my local radio shack too! :treasurechest::icon_king:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!

I'm going to miss Radio Shack, you could walk in there with a question or problem and they would help you....sigh!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Wow! Super! As a teacher, that's a really useful fabulous find! :notworthy: Our local Radio Shack says that not all of them will be closed, including ours. The clerk was told by his boss that another corporation may be buying some of these Radio Shack stores, so perhaps will offer a mixture of RS items and their own. Time will tell. Andi

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to shop RadioShack and Lafayette,best stores going for parts.

Good deal!!!:icon_thumright:

GOD Bless

Chris

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is sad that they are going out of business, especially for the fix it guys but a great buy on your part. if this weather ever backs off, I gotta go make one last run to ours for parts if I can.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just a FYI.. Not all Radio Shack stores are closing. For example the Greeneville, Sevierville & Gatlinburg TN stores are privately owned and will remain open for business as usual.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a FYI.. Not all Radio Shack stores are closing. For example the Greeneville, Sevierville & Gatlinburg TN stores are privately owned and will remain open for business as usual.

I so miss them Great Smokys.....sigh.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local radio shack is also closing; bought some alligator clips 50% off earlier this week. If they do the same "fill a bag" sale I'll need to follow suit and stock up on components. I'm not old enough to remember what Radio Shack was like back in its glory days, but in the mid 90s their selection of DIY electronic stuff occupied a large portion of the store, whereas now most of the inventory seems to be more mainstream consumer electronic products. Kind of a sad reflection of the cultural shift away from hands-on home manufacturing or repair in favor of wasteful consumerism.

When my girlfriend accidentally threw away the plastic 4XC battery holder/cartridge that went to my detector (My fault for leaving it on the floor camouflaged in a pile of garbage :BangHead:), all I needed to do was hit the Radio Shack and homebrew a suitable replacement. It took a little while to intuit how to go about it as I have no EE experience, but it actually works a lot better than the original, with longer battery life and no chance of breaking contact and turning off if accidentally jarred/dropped. She felt really bad about it at first, but in the end it did me a favor. It kinda distresses the nostalgic part of me to think that someday it will be almost impossible for the average Joe to quickly and efficiently browse what is available and get what they need to do this sort of repair work; like we are losing another piece of the American ethos of economical self reliance that made this such a great nation in the past.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid, I made a crystal set, and was able to listen to the radio. I must have been given or purchased the head set, but the rest was built on a board from the instructions in the cub scout book. The crystal was purchased (from radio shack ??? ) and there was the help from dad also, but it worked. I read one time that POW's in N. Korea were able to build a crystal set and get news. They used a broken razor blade for the crystal. Mention crystal set today, and you get a blank look.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
While I was reading your post I thought you were going to tell us about a radio shack metal detector you bagged. Never imagined it would be drawers full of components. Best purchase I ever heard of at a radio shack.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The local radio shack is also closing; bought some alligator clips 50% off earlier this week. If they do the same "fill a bag" sale I'll need to follow suit and stock up on components. I'm not old enough to remember what Radio Shack was like back in its glory days, but in the mid 90s their selection of DIY electronic stuff occupied a large portion of the store, whereas now most of the inventory seems to be more mainstream consumer electronic products. Kind of a sad reflection of the cultural shift away from hands-on home manufacturing or repair in favor of wasteful consumerism.

When my girlfriend accidentally threw away the plastic 4XC battery holder/cartridge that went to my detector (My fault for leaving it on the floor camouflaged in a pile of garbage :BangHead:), all I needed to do was hit the Radio Shack and homebrew a suitable replacement. It took a little while to intuit how to go about it as I have no EE experience, but it actually works a lot better than the original, with longer battery life and no chance of breaking contact and turning off if accidentally jarred/dropped. She felt really bad about it at first, but in the end it did me a favor. It kinda distresses the nostalgic part of me to think that someday it will be almost impossible for the average Joe to quickly and efficiently browse what is available and get what they need to do this sort of repair work; like we are losing another piece of the American ethos of economical self reliance that made this such a great nation in the past.

I am thankful I grew up in the "fix it" age.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up the last few of their 1/8 to 1/4 adapters for $.60 each, usually around $5 each, and I was pretty happy with that. I usually have to replace one every couple of years, so I a, set for awhile.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep they closed up the two stores over here on the western slope of CO. But no one knew, you would go in and they had the shelves some what stocked. But not one word about them closing the stores!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They announced that they are closing one of two stores here where I live, I am going to have to keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the info, Great score by the way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions