Ragdoll in the Surfzone

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well...I'm about 1/4 of the way thru the book...
I sure thought that I was a lot smarter .... before reading all this stuff..
In any case..the book weighs about 10lbs and its keeping me in shape ..
As soon as it slows down at work I'll start cobbling something up...

Yes, indeed...there are many, many years of research and work in that book. In 2006 I went back to college to earn an engineering degree, I found the MATE Center and they were talking about that text like it was going to be completed 'any day now'. Well..in 2010 when I graduated, they started shipping them out right after I handed in my Senior project...which would have been a lot better had I had that book as a reference. Woopsie.
For a high-school/entry level college text, it is pretty comprehensive at 850 pages and surely worth the hundred bucks.

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I've found a way to hold my Manta in place even in a stiff current... as long as its a sandy seafloor...
The potential problems I've still have to work around are...
Many metal detector coils read not only below the coil...but above the coil as well...the frame and electronics could create some interference..
GPS will be exact when using the Manta's tail as an antenna... but tethered to a floating antenna will present some accuracy issues...

Back to work......

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting close to halfway thru the book...not sure if I'm getting any smarter ?
Its a very thorough and informative book ..though I seem to be getting more questions than I am answers.. and a few new ideas as well...
I'm thinking that my Manta might need a few new friends....like the Mag-A-Ray ....and the SideScan-SandShark..

Back to work...

Attachments

• 1504447099899.jpg
    1504447099899.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....it only took 3 months to read and understand 710 pages...now to make some sense out of my notes and start gathering parts to get my Manta off the workbench and into the water...a good winter project..

Attachments

• 1511226250212.jpg
    1511226250212.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent all morning cleaning it inside and out... now I'm bringing it up to temp and drying it out...I'll start cooking before the sun comes up on Wednesday....5 turkeys and 4 Boston Butts..
Maybe my boss will let me take a few days off for your annual BBQ...
Happy Thanksgiving...

Attachments

• 1511288185551.jpg
    1511288185551.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 54

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one cool grill !! It reminds me of a locomotive. If the drone turns out that good, youll have a pile of treasure as high as your wood pile in the photo !! Good luck, cant wait to see the manta do some work !!

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is a shipwreck forum..and we'll get right back to the ROV hybrid Manta I'm working on..
Figured I'd give you a taste of what to expect at the next annual TNet BBQ..
This is what I was cooking while you were sleeping last night....

BTW....I'm looking for a 4ft or larger plastic or fiberglass Manta or Stingray..I found one on the internet awhile back but haven't been able to locate it...I need it as a mold and a template to build the framework of my Manta..I know most of the pieces I will need...but they're all just ideas until it takes shape on my workbench.
It's kinda like buying a small house and modifying all your stuff to fit inside ...

Attachments

• 1511379529552.jpg
    1511379529552.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread