✅ SOLVED Raillroad things I think, Please help if you can.

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hook Like thing

The Things In Bold are the things I would most like to get more information on.

I found in my back yard, we don't live too far off the railroad tracks, I am pretty sure most of it is railroad related, but I am not sure.

The square shovel with the broken handle was buried under some brush along with the gloves, hat and the rag.

About the shovel, I searched online today and have found similar shovels, but this one has a number four on it. I found information on Number 2 shovels but nothing specific on the number 4.

It is a coal shovel. On the face of the shovel or the scoop area, it looks like it might have some writing on it. I have not seen other shovels marked in this area. I am not sure. I was wondering if anyone knows the age, or any relevant information about these items.

As far as the gloves go, they have made those kind of gloves forever, is there any way to tell how old they might be?

shovel and railroad1.JPG Shovel A 02.JPG Shovel B 02.JPG shovel and railroad3.JPG

The metal hook like thing and the other thing in the same photo, are they railroad related or what are they? two 2.JPG

The old wooden handle was found not too far from the other stuff. This wood handle looks like it had carved rings around it to indicate measurements of 3, 6 and 12 inches. I have never seen anything like this before so it may have just been something that someone did on their own. It also looks like there is some yellow orange color.

View attachment 666497 View attachment 666493 View attachment 666495 View attachment 666498 View attachment 666499 View attachment 666500

I can get more photos if you need. Thanks for looking at my post!

Attachments

• DSCN9432.JPG
    DSCN9432.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN9434.JPG
    DSCN9434.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN9435.JPG
    DSCN9435.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN9436.JPG
    DSCN9436.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN9443.JPG
    DSCN9443.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A reference book I have shows a tool similar to yours with a tapered point called a side chisel, used for cutting rivets.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shovel could be a coal shovel use to stoke the furnace on a locomotive. Monty

Upvote 0

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree on the coal shovel ID. They are found nearly everywhere (people garages) here in W. PA.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, but I don't have any idea what item you are talking about. All the Chisel I find online are long and thin. Please clarify if you have time. Thanks, Cindy

Upvote 0

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Casey Jones wore gloves like those when he was steamin and a rollin'...all i know! :)

Upvote 0

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google "Hubbard side chisel". The description is under "Railway track & structures cyclopedia issue 1".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Number 4" and possible Writing on the shovel scoop or face.

I appreciate the feedback so far, but...

On the face of the shovel or the scoop area, it looks like it might have some writing on it. I have not seen other shovels marked in this area. Has anyone seen this before and information SPECIFICALLY on the number 4 shovel would be appreciated.

Also anyone ever make shovel handles with measure marks etched in or was this something a clever person did on their own?

Any way to age the gloves?

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
The pointed shovel shown is a "No. 2" shovel, one of the more familiar shovels you will see. The other one is a "No. 4", called a coal shovel. Some makers must have the model number embossed into the shovel.
shovel2.jpg coal.jpg
Does the handle with the rings look heavier than a shovel handle? It looks to me maybe it is for a pick or sledge hammer. The rings could be for measuring the depth of a hole, or, we used to grind rings like that on a handle for a better grip. Some also would grind rings to indentify it as "their" favorite tool to use. coal.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Handle with the rings looks like it maybe a little bigger than a shovel handle, I never thought about using it for gripping. I think I will do that to all of my husbands tools. :sign10:. He is a Virgo, that wouldn't go over so good! It is a good idea though.
Thank you for giving me SPECIFIC information on the number 4!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions