✅ SOLVED Railroad button? & old hardware from what?

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these things today near an old foundation here in Oklahoma......the foundation is near the old Midland Valley Railroad tracks.
Could the button be a uniform button from a railroad worker---it has three 5-pointed stars on it? and the old iron hardware from a stove maybe?
Here's some pictures:
First is the foundation---it is built back into the hill: IMG_4573 (800x533).jpg
And here's the finds: IMG_6356 (1024x611).jpg IMG_6357 (836x1024).jpg IMG_6358 (1024x777).jpg IMG_6360 (1024x631).jpg IMG_6368 (1024x926).jpg IMG_6370 (1024x683).jpg IMG_6373 (1024x941).jpg

Thanks for any help!!

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That large iron thing with the loops on both ends is a bit for a horse. ..or at least that was what I was told when I found one. Nice job.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That large iron thing with the loops on both ends is a bit for a horse. ..or at least that was what I was told when I found one. Nice job.
:icon_thumright: Right! I think those are called "snaffle" or "broken" bits. We usually just find the rings from those things.
Thanks charlives!

Upvote 0

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Snaffle bit. I have pile of them. The iron thing with the stars intrests me, but I have no idea what it might be.

Upvote 0

archer63

Jan 31, 2012
ardmore,okla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bullet is civil war era for sure. and for sure a broke bit. the thing with the stars looks like it was screwed on to something to me, no clue sorry.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to have to say, the very-wide flat nose on the bullet means it is from sometime after the civil war (which ended in 1865. Also, after doing two clicks to view the supersize version of the first photo showing the bullet, it appears to have a "reeded" body-groove encircling it. (You might want to use water and a toothbrush to gently scrub the dirt out of the grooves, to see whether they are or aren't reeded grooves.) The presence of a reeded body-groove on a bullet means it is from around 1880 at the very earliest -- and that type has been continuously manufactured ever since, right up to today. See photo below for an example of a reeded groove on a bullet.

If you can measure your bullet's diameter with Digital Calipers, tell us the measurement in hundredths-of-an-inch, and we might be able to give you its very-specific identification.

Your button is known as a Trainman's button, from the overalls/coveralls worn by the train's work-crew (but not the conductors or stewards). That version seems to start showing up in the 1880s.

Other posters have already correctly identified the snaffle horsebit for you. That version does date back to the civil war (actually, even earlier) ...but it too has been manufactured continuously ever since then. You can still buy the exacy same model today at horsegear stores.

Speaking of which ...your broken iron buckle is from a horse-harness.

Keep hunting that spot. There are always a few old coins around old foundations like that one.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can tell in the picture, the bullet appears to be a 45-70 that was intended to be loaded in a tubular magazine. In other words, the bullets were stored in the rifle in a long tube, one behind the other, and they figured if pointed bullets rested on the primer of the one ahead, the recoil or other sharp jar to the gun could cause the bullets in the magazine to go off, which would be unhealthy to the shooter. The first use of 45-70 was early 1870's by the army, using single shot rifles. At one time I owned a Winchester 1886 45-70 with a tubular magazine, and shot a bullet just like yours. A knock off of the same gun is still manufactured today, as are 45-70 cartridges in exactly the same configuration as your bullet. My guess is based on your ruler, and if the bullet diameter is in fact smaller that .45 of an inch, then it could be a 38-55, same deal as previously stated. rifle1.jpg The magazine I'm talking about is the tube seen under the barrel in the photo.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Archer63, CannonballGuy, and BosnMate.....that helps a bunch! We figured this old foundation to date around the late 1800's to early 1900's. The Osages(Indians) were allotted their land during that era.....most of the old home sites we find are Osage.

Appreciate the information on the Trainman's button, CannonBallGuy!

And BosnMate---we found quite a few bullet casings.....a "WRA Co. 38 WCF", a "U.S. 44 WCF", a "UMC 25-20" and some shotgun casings---I just figured the bullet came out of one of those. But thanks for the information! You guys are great!

I'm still curious what that iron piece with the 6 pointed stars came off of? It looks like a Star of David.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, non-jacketed lead .45-70 bullets had 3 grooves ...and even the shortest version of them (for the .45-70 Carbine) are significantly longer than the bullet found by Charmin. (See the .45-70 bullets in the photo below.)

Please do clean the dirt out of the bullet's grooves, and let us know whether or not is has the many short parallel ridges inside the groove, meaning it is a "reeded" groove.

Is the flat nose of the bullet "solid," or have a round hole in it?

Also, if you don't have access to Digital Calipers, put the marked edge of a ruler on the bullet's flat base. If it measures really-really close to 7/16th-inch, it is a .44 caliber bullet. If it is really-really close to 3/8th-inch, it is a .38 bullet (or a bit less likely, a .36 bullet).

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_45-70Springfield3groove_FortCusterRange_cc_1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
The item with the two stars with holes thru them,...Is it cast iron or stamped steel? It look quite thin from the photo.
Also, the similar item with the hole minus the stars,...is it the same front and back? It looks thicker.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item with the two stars with holes thru them,...Is it cast iron or stamped steel? It look quite thin from the photo.
Also, the similar item with the hole minus the stars,...is it the same front and back? It looks thicker.
I think what you are seeing is the front and back of the same item...Sorry I forgot to put that with the pictures! And it is cast iron and kinda thin with a raised lip on the back,,,,,almost like it was an edge piece on something. Thanks vhs07~~

CannonBallGuy---I don't have any calipers for an accurate measurement but I did clean the lead up a little more and took pictures from all angles---here's a picture collage:
Lead Bullet collage (1024x700).jpg
Thanks for the help guys!!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing it's a hinge cover of some sort, made to keep the hinge pin from sliding out.

Upvote 0

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet looks to measure at 3/8 inch which is equal to .375 inch. The . 38-40 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) matches this exactly. It was origanally chambered in the Winchester model 73 that does have a tubeular magazine and required a flat nosed bullet. Colt also cambered it in their Single Action Army revolvers and at the turn of the century, flat nose bullets became popular in revolvers. This bullet could have come from either gun or several other types of guns chambered for this round. I hope this helps you out a little.

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
could you show pic of back of RR button? Could it be a clip or snap or whatever ya call them off a pair of bibbers?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bullet looks to measure at 3/8 inch which is equal to .375 inch. The . 38-40 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) matches this exactly. It was origanally chambered in the Winchester model 73 that does have a tubeular magazine and required a flat nosed bullet. Colt also cambered it in their Single Action Army revolvers and at the turn of the century, flat nose bullets became popular in revolvers. This bullet could have come from either gun or several other types of guns chambered for this round. I hope this helps you out a little.
Thank you, skeeterd! That does help!!

And here's a picture of the back of the button for you uglymailman:
IMG_6370 (976x1024).jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cannonballguy, Did the 45-70 flat nose 300 Grain WRA bullet also have three grooves? Also there is the option of the 45 Colt long, did it have more than one groove? I don't know either of those questions for antique bullets, but the 1897 Sears catalog lists a flat nose 300 gr. black powder load and a jacketed, or as they said, copper patched smokeless cartridge. I know it's foolish to guess at a bullet size in a photo, because it's impossible in to eyeball the difference between .40, .44, and .45. I shoot black powder cartridge guns now and also in the past, but the only cast lead bullets I'm familiar with were cast by me or purchased modern bullets. I do know that there was multi ball load in the 45-70 that had two round balls underneath a bullet that only had one groove. Collectors call this one a "sentry load."

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cannonballguy, Did the 45-70 flat nose 300 Grain WRA bullet also have three grooves? Also there is the option of the 45 Colt long, did it have more than one groove? I don't know either of those questions for antique bullets, but the 1897 Sears catalog lists a flat nose 300 gr. black powder load and a jacketed, or as they said, copper patched smokeless cartridge. I know it's foolish to guess at a bullet size in a photo, because it's impossible in to eyeball the difference between .40, .44, and .45. I shoot black powder cartridge guns now and also in the past, but the only cast lead bullets I'm familiar with were cast by me or purchased modern bullets. I do know that there was multi ball load in the 45-70 that had two round balls underneath a bullet that only had one groove. Collectors call this one a "sentry load."

Regarding the "45-70 flat nose 300 Grain WRA bullet" you're asking about:
In all my years of research, I've never come across an "antique" .45-70 bullet which is lead-only (not copper-jacketed) and has a "true" flat nose (like the bullet found by Charmin). All of the 1870s-1890s lead-only .45-70 bullets I've seen have either a rounded or semi-rounded nose. I've never seen the lead-only bullet you mention as being in the 1897 Sears catalog. So, I cannot answer your question from "direct observation." I do know that the 1870s-1880s lead-only .45-70-500 and .45-70-405 had three grooves. Theoretically, it's possible that a .45-70-300, being a lighter, shorter bullet than the 500 and 405, might have had only two grooves. But I think it's more likely that it had three grooves, with just a shorter nose.

Yo asked if the .45 Colt Long cartridge's bullet had more than one groove. I assume you mean the cartridge for the US Army's Model-1874 Colt Revolver. If so, my answer is yes, it did. It had two grooves. See the photo at the end of this post, showing an excavated, white-patina specimen.

I asked Charmin to put the marked edge of a ruler up against the flat bottom of his bullet, and tell us (or show us in a photo) whether its diameter is closer to 3/8th-inch or 7/16th-inch. He still hasn't done that. I suspect that his flatnosed bullet with two reeded grooves is a .44 caliber, not a .38 caliber. Specifically, I think it is an 1880s-or-later .44-40 bullet, for the Model-1873 Winchester .44-40 Rifle. I've seen a photo of a flatnosed lead-only .44-40 which looks like an exact match for Charmin's except that this one is a hollow-point. See the other photo below.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_45caliber_ColtArmyRevolver1874_FrankfordArsenal_sideview.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_45caliber_ColtArmyRevolver1874_FrankfordArsenal_sideview.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 255
  • bullet_POSTWAR_45_ArmyRevolver_1874_centerfirecartridge_scan.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_45_ArmyRevolver_1874_centerfirecartridge_scan.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 121
  • bullet_POSTWAR_44-40-for-Winchester1873Rifle_2-reeded-grooves_UMC44HollowPt.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_44-40-for-Winchester1873Rifle_2-reeded-grooves_UMC44HollowPt.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like they got you squared away pretty good. They are good. How is the deer herd this year. Got a call from Watonga they said mighty warm this year.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Regarding the "45-70 flat nose 300 Grain WRA bullet" you're asking about:
In all my years of research, I've never come across an "antique" .45-70 bullet which is lead-only (not copper-jacketed) and has a "true" flat nose (like the bullet found by Charmin). All of the 1870s-1890s lead-only .45-70 bullets I've seen have either a rounded or semi-rounded nose. I've never seen the lead-only bullet you mention as being in the 1897 Sears catalog. So, I cannot answer your question from "direct observation." I do know that the 1870s-1880s lead-only .45-70-500 and .45-70-405 had three grooves. Theoretically, it's possible that a .45-70-300, being a lighter, shorter bullet than the 500 and 405, might have had only two grooves. But I think it's more likely that it had three grooves, with just a shorter nose.

Yo asked if the .45 Colt Long cartridge's bullet had more than one groove. I assume you mean the cartridge for the US Army's Model-1874 Colt Revolver. If so, my answer is yes, it did. It had two grooves. See the photo at the end of this post, showing an excavated, white-patina specimen.

I asked Charmin to put the marked edge of a ruler up against the flat bottom of his bullet, and tell us (or show us in a photo) whether its diameter is closer to 3/8th-inch or 7/16th-inch. He still hasn't done that. I suspect that his flatnosed bullet with two reeded grooves is a .44 caliber, not a .38 caliber. Specifically, I think it is an 1880s-or-later .44-40 bullet, for the Model-1873 Winchester .44-40 Rifle. I've seen a photo of a flatnosed lead-only .44-40 which looks like an exact match for Charmin's except that this one is a hollow-point. See the other photo below.

You are right. I went back to the catalog and looked using a magnifying glass, and the flat nose black powder is a 45-90 with 90 grains of powder and a 300 grain flat nose bullet. The 45-70 WRA advertised for the 86 Winchester is jacketed and smokeless, the other 45-70 black powder load, which is advertised as being for the 86 Winchester called the "45-70 Government," with 70 grains of BP and a round nose 405 grain bullet. By golly, I learned something today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread