Railroad track relics

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Was cycling in an old part of town along railroad tracks, these tracks have been there for a very long time. In the gravel, I saw some very old bottle glass (thick, bubbly) , spikes, and potential iron relics that weren’t all the way exposed. Very accessible from road but not sure if it’s legal to take so I didn’t grab anything. Really don’t think any locals care about that stuff, but I just want to do things the rite way. Any advice is appreciated.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What could they possibly do if you are walking along RR tracks and pick something up ?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know, trash on the public right of way is fair game to pick up. The railroads, though, are not a public right of way, so it's questionable. If you could see it from the road, it's a toss up. But like others have said, I really doubt anyone will care as long as you don't leave a big hole under the tracks or something.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was cycling in an old part of town along railroad tracks, these tracks have been there for a very long time. In the gravel, I saw some very old bottle glass (thick, bubbly) , spikes, and potential iron relics that weren’t all the way exposed. Very accessible from road but not sure if it’s legal to take so I didn’t grab anything. Really don’t think any locals care about that stuff, but I just want to do things the rite way. Any advice is appreciated.
There's a few things that one has to ask.
1st: Is the R/R tracks still in use?
2nd: Potential iron relics-What were they?

Most R/R companies have a right-of-away meaning the lands belong to them basically, and everything that sits on that right-of-way. No removal of anything, and is deemed as theft and that includes spikes, or any other material.

The abandon track(s) spur lines is another thing where the line isn't used any longer but hasn't been removed. Material still belongs to the company owning the tracks, but do they really care if you pick up a bunch of glass or even a spike.
If it's a mainline (tracks that are used regularly) trespassing/removal of material is frowned upon.

The question begs of why is the spikes or other material just laying there? Were the spikes left overs from previous track work, or have they worked out of the tie. The other potential iron relics might look cool to you-but they also might be a working piece of track material.

Just an example you pick up a few spikes, an anchor, a bolt and are returning to your vehicle. Along comes the Road master or the R/R police-you will find yourself in a situation where you wish you didn't pick up the material.

You claim that you just picked them up (totally innocent) they ask where, you show them. They discover that the said items were once affixed to the rail infrastructure and are now in your possession it's a case of you might be looking at a charge that your life situation would change.

There are many answers as there questions pertaining to the powers the R/R have, they have more than a regular cop when it comes to the R/R.
Here is an answer to your question from a inquiry online:

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 7.29.35 AM.png

OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
There's a few things that one has to ask.
1st: Is the R/R tracks still in use?
2nd: Potential iron relics-What were they?

Most R/R companies have a right-of-away meaning the lands belong to them basically, and everything that sits on that right-of-way. No removal of anything, and is deemed as theft and that includes spikes, or any other material.

The abandon track(s) spur lines is another thing where the line isn't used any longer but hasn't been removed. Material still belongs to the company owning the tracks, but do they really care if you pick up a bunch of glass or even a spike.
If it's a mainline (tracks that are used regularly) trespassing/removal of material is frowned upon.

The question begs of why is the spikes or other material just laying there? Were the spikes left overs from previous track work, or have they worked out of the tie. The other potential iron relics might look cool to you-but they also might be a working piece of track material.

Just an example you pick up a few spikes, an anchor, a bolt and are returning to your vehicle. Along comes the Road master or the R/R police-you will find yourself in a situation where you wish you didn't pick up the material.

You claim that you just picked them up (totally innocent) they ask where, you show them. They discover that the said items were once affixed to the rail infrastructure and are now in your possession it's a case of you might be looking at a charge that your life situation would change.

There are many answers as there questions pertaining to the powers the R/R have, they have more than a regular cop when it comes to the R/R.
Here is an answer to your question from a inquiry online:

View attachment 2092736
As always thank you for the guidance pepper. The tracks are still in use, so I will abandon this idea. I definitely don’t need any of the above mentioned forms of trouble. Thanks again!

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
Watch out for the railroads who are out to get you when you pick up trash like items. They might even fly drones overhead to see you get that spike trash they left behind 40 years ago and then sick their attorneys on you to take away your social security. You know they are so vigilant about enforcing these laws, just look at all the graffiti on the box cars they have removed. Not.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember many decades ago, traveling through the farmlands of Illinois with an old railroad running alongside that country road. There were old obsolete telephone poles leaning, fallen all along the way....full of clear and aqua glass insulators. I wonder if everyone left them there for fear of it all...I think not.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm of the opinion that some of these people are way overthinking this... thousands of hobos walk the rails every day, if these people had nothing better to do than track everyone who picked up a scrap piece of metal that was laying beside the track and sued you for you SS income, they would never get anything done... I think it's a stretch to say that if you pick up an old RR spike from the side of the tracks that has been laying there abandoned for years... they are going to railroad you (no pun intended hahaha) for attempting to derail and destroy trains.... a little much I suspect... just me.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm of the opinion that some of these people are way overthinking this... thousands of hobos walk the rails every day, if these people had nothing better to do than track everyone who picked up a scrap piece of metal that was laying beside the track and sued you for you SS income, they would never get anything done... I think it's a stretch to say that if you pick up an old RR spike from the side of the tracks that has been laying there abandoned for years... they are going to railroad you (no pun intended hahaha) for attempting to derail and destroy trains.... a little much I suspect... just me.
No pun intended…Now that one is an oldie but a goodie…

Ed T

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try checking out what it would take for you to search along the rail trails that are popping up in many states.
Some are managed/maintained by "friends/volunteers" organizations. Lots of those trails have stuff discarded along the old RR line that may be of interest to you but not to them and something they want cleaned up. Maybe they will approve of you metal detecting in exchange for helping them. Or maybe you don't need permission at all to search. You may also find some old coins where the RR workers took their meals next to or off the line. Just a thought, give it a try.
Jon

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Round me you need railroad permission to be on rail property.
Your area should have as much interest by rabbit hunters ect..
Some see a blind eye turned. But don't mistake that for any type of immunity if you get arrested!
The converted to human rails to trails on one former line near , allows zero detecting.

Hobos were not Bums. Or tramps. Or alcoholics. Or perverts.
Did crossovers exist somewhere? Probably.
Bo's code though often had them seperate in camp. And rail related.
That does not mean a seperate jungle' near a town. But a segregated area within it if need be.

Where was that jungle in your area? And the one beyond?
Out of four or five whistle stops , which one mattered most ; and why?
Due to the abuse inflicted as punishment for getting caught on R.R. property by certain individuals at certain times , and more often other times... There are former camps off R.R. property.
Don't confuse todays tramps or bums with yesteryears bos.
But once researched , check out a better camp area after securing permission if required.
Given a long frequented area by anyone running the rails or along them the odds of what you're interested in being carried or occurring off R.R. property exists in the right spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread