Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to all,
As I'm unemployed I thought I'd get into the mountains early to work with the GMT and the new Sierra Max DD coil. NO Such Luck! Snow drifts and rain are abundant! And hence, the rivers and creeks are full and running fast and heavy. More rain this weekend will only swell the allready plentiful reserves.

I've had a limited chance to experiment with my new 8" x 14" coil for the GMT but here are a few comments. For small pieces of gold, ~10 to 14 k, there is little difference between the standard coil and the 8 x 14 as indicated by others. Also of no surprise to anyone the 8 x 14 is, shall I say, a bit heavy when combined with the electronics package on the same rod. Given a larger piece of gold to swing over it would be advised to have your earphones turned down as it really sends out a blast of sound.

My Limited evaluation was done in a nail strewn lawn and I'd expect to find some difference over highly mineralised ground and I hope to determine this by the middle of next week when the rain stops, please stop! Once I'm able to get out without being washed off the hillside or falling in over my head into a snow drift I will experiment with the new coil, the swingy thingy as well as to put the electronics on a hip/shoulder mount. Hence, more comments to follow. 63bkpkr

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's also a good thing there is no metal in those snowshoes, huh? Ha ha! TTC

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Thanks for the quick review Herb... Myself I didn't see where the 1400 was any less sensitive to small gold than the standard 6x10. I missed my GMT, so I got another new one that came Friday.. Now just to get time to use it.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was thinking that maybe you can find an older detector like the GM2 or GM3, (since them units allowed for hip mount.)
swtich the handles out, and then somehow strap the GMT handle/box to ya
just a thought

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it is now Tuesday and we have Glorious Sunshine up here with only a few clouds so there is hope that summer is on its way.

Nitro - Glad to hear you've purchased a new GMT! Do you see any differences between it and the old one you had?

2cmorau - I have a hipmount system from my XLT that works with the GMT and will use it. Also, I purchased a "swingy thingy" and I expect that one or the other of these options will serve my purpose.

I hope to get out and do some practice in a day or two and will add some comments here.

All my best, 63bkpkr

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey 63
Dont have to bother with that 5 pounder up there. I will get it out of your way this weekend. :laughing9:

Hefty

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Send your rain my way! It's so bad here tomorrow they are closing the national forest... And they aren't going to open it until it rains. That could be over a month away. I guess I'll have to take up sewing to kill the time. LOL

::fingers crosses it rains sooner::

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hi Herb,

My new GMT seems to work fine. For some reason this one ground balances better. I don't remember my old one being so sensitive to chirping - falsing from hitting the coil against rocks.. I have just used it for maybe 30 minutes.. I wanted to check out my over size piles from high-banking with the GMS. Nothing found in my piles, except junk.. While I was at the river I checked the cracks in the bedrock and came up with 3 small pieces of lead, so I know the GMT is doing it's job. How's the new 8x14 working for you ??

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitro,
I'm still fighting with snow, dug out a drive through section yesterday in a snow drift across a jeep road to a trail head I will go down next week. The main road is still covered in snow and will be plowed the end of June. It is likely that the higher trails I WANT to go down will not be clear till the end of July and the rivers might not be safe to play in all year. Till I can get down into a canyon and away from even small town hub-bub I will not have a chance to use the new coil over mineralized mountain soil. Talk about a bumb deal!!

Good luck with yours, 63bkpkr

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thats a bummer on all the snow yet ... I have to get above 4000 feet before I run into much snow.. It's melting fast though. I can't remember the creeks and river being so high this time of year. Where a good month behind this year.. I usually get to turn off my gas heater the first or second week of May, but it's still burning. Still in the 30's and 40's at night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions