Rainy Day

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My shop addition has run into southwest Oregon weather. When ever the guys have a day off and can work on the addition, it rains. We are now moving so slow that it's almost full stop.

shop rainA.jpg

shop rain2A.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a tarp over on top and let the work continue?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It's so depressing when you have a project like that and run into snags and delays. Thankfully, it's only a season.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great looking addition. I can feel your impatience. Are you going with a metal roof? Can't they tack that on when the wood is wet? Your crew can't wear rain gear? Sorry, too many questions. Must be a reason. Is there caulking involved? Whoops. Another question. Will be nice when it gets done. Congrats.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking addition. I can feel your impatience. Are you going with a metal roof? Can't they tack that on when the wood is wet? Your crew can't wear rain gear? Sorry, too many questions. Must be a reason. Is there caulking involved? Whoops. Another question. Will be nice when it gets done. Congrats.
Most likely these contractors are doing a little more of some inside work on two other projects they've been putting off due to excuses they gave the clients on those jobs. Hopefully they'll get just enough done on those jobs when the weather breaks and then get back here and get the roof on and then have another excuse come up, so they can get over and do some more on the other jobs put on hold due to the excuses they gave on those projects. It's called juggling work and the guy my wife hired asked me to explain that to her, when she threatened to get rid of him, for his lack of progress. I told her how it works, but she still thought it was just plain telling her lies.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most likely these contractors are doing a little more of some inside work on two other projects they've been putting off due to excuses they gave the clients on those jobs. Hopefully they'll get just enough done on those jobs when the weather breaks and then get back here and get the roof on and then have another excuse come up, so they can get over and do some more on the other jobs put on hold due to the excuses they gave on those projects. It's called juggling work and the guy my wife hired asked me to explain that to her, when she threatened to get rid of him, for his lack of progress. I told her how it works, but she still thought it was just plain telling her lies.

Yeah, you're likely right. I've been the victim of "juggling" on a home addition 9 years ago. The crew would disappear for days, then suddenly show up, work for a few, and disappear again. Maddening. Hoping Bosn gets this finished soon.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you're likely right. I've been the victim of "juggling" on a home addition 9 years ago. The crew would disappear for days, then suddenly show up, work for a few, and disappear again. Maddening. Hoping Bosn gets this finished soon.
It's like I told my wife, ya get another contractor and it'll either be the same or worse. She understood as it's like the way she feels about being married to me when I don't measure up. She could get rid of me, but then where's the guarantee the next guy would be even better. :dontknow: It's like it's said, "the road the success is always under construction".

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My son and another fella are working on the shop. I'm handicapped and have no business on a ladder, let alone the roof. My son is a welder, works long hours and lots of overtime, and the other guy works 5 days, but his days off don't always fall on the same time my son is off. Their pay is usually beer and food, and that isn't enough to get them to work in the rain. We'll get some nice weather in January, seems like we always get around 10 days of cold, without rain. I'm not complaining about the help, we just got started to late in the season for such a major undertaking, knowing full well that nobody was going to be able to really get after it. I'd really like to get the roof completed and then we could take our time, but this seems to be a winter that is getting back to normal. The past several years have been a dry spell for this area.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Tin on top of plywood roof. Locally, tin roofs condense moisture, and almost rain inside, so plywood, then tar paper and tin on top solves that problem.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like I told my wife, ya get another contractor and it'll either be the same or worse. She understood as it's like the way she feels about being married to me when I don't measure up. She could get rid of me, but then where's the guarantee the next guy would be even better. :dontknow: It's like it's said, "the road the success is always under construction".

HA HA double HA!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son and another fella are working on the shop. I'm handicapped and have no business on a ladder, let alone the roof. My son is a welder, works long hours and lots of overtime, and the other guy works 5 days, but his days off don't always fall on the same time my son is off. Their pay is usually beer and food, and that isn't enough to get them to work in the rain. We'll get some nice weather in January, seems like we always get around 10 days of cold, without rain. I'm not complaining about the help, we just got started to late in the season for such a major undertaking, knowing full well that nobody was going to be able to really get after it. I'd really like to get the roof completed and then we could take our time, but this seems to be a winter that is getting back to normal. The past several years have been a dry spell for this area.

Geez Bosn, sorry to disrespect your family. I didn't pick up on that. Would it make up for that if I said it looks like they're doing a great job? I like those wind anchors.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
BosnMate you're blessed to have a son come help you out. Feed him well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread